Any air rifle gurus out there

miker

Im getting back into air rifle shooting after 15 odd years, i used to have a weihrauch hw 77 carbine  .22, heavy old thing but did the job of killing rabbits etc.

Ive seen a good package in my local mole store, webley os quantum for £185, looked at some reviews on the tube and   it seems that .177 has a better kill range at over the 25 yard range, and .22 better for sub 25 yards, any of you guys or gals have an opinion on this, i want to knock rabbits, squirrels etc over, possibly up to 50 yards, ive always been a died in the wool .22 man but thinking about .177 now for the further distance

Cheers

Mike

Been wanting to buy a gun for years but had neither the time or a suitable place to shoot.  Well I could find somewhere to shoot but then the time issue comes into play.  I just want to be able to walk out of my door and into a field and shoot.

Thankfully I am hopefully moving in a couple months time to a place that ticks all those boxes so I will be in the market, for either a weihrauch or thoeben probably, will have to start my research from scratch again

• Like 2

If you can go PCP, coming from springers, it was a revelation, with a silencer they make no noise and have no kick making them damn accurate.

I would say .22 for the kick on your target or .177 for penetration, I usually use the .22 for rats but that is the PCP so is just the weapon of choice - 25 yards seems a bit lame on full legal power!

The forums are a good place to trade - I got an Air arms PCP from Gunmart for a bargain price and is worth a look.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, spudulike said:

I got an Air arms PCP from Gunmart for a bargain price and is worth a look.

Air Arms PCP are the absolute doodahs for pest control. I never had an air rifle that hit so hard and accurately out to 40yds or so.

I have a AA springer which is a proper nice gun but I wouldn't want to carry it far.

I had a .177 but recently changed most of my stuff is squirrels and rats so everything is under 30yds

i went for a .22 BSA lightning SE with a good size Hawke scope

and iam very pleased so far a few hits and several misses

nice stock on the BSA

• Like 1

My misses is a good shot , so im thinking maybe ill get a .177 and .22 and we can mix and match and see what the outcome is, we look after the grounds of a huge residential care home and the rabbits are scoffing all the plants she has put in, so retribution is playing a big hand in this lol, and the residents are partial to rabbit pie !!

.22 suffers from a lack of range and penetration. Good up to about 25m, but past that it's pretty useless and the trajectory drops rapidly!

.177 is about half the weight and therefore needs to travel a lot faster to achieve the legal limit of 12 ft/lbs. It therefore has a much flatter and faster trajectory, as well as better penetration. I can happily head shoot rabbits out to 50m with a .177. 

If you can afford it, get a Weihrauch HW 100 in .177.  Amazing engineering and ridiculously accurate.

SG

• Like 2