Any air rifle gurus out there

miker

Used to be into air rifles big time but then powder burners cam along and thats a one way street.

HW77 was the rifle to have in my day providing you were not to attached to your finger tips !!.  I used an Original 45 and early Theobens.

The issue here is hitting the mark dead on, be it a target or a rabbits head.  At 12 ft lbs you are driving an Eley wasp at about 850 fps in 177 and about 600 fps in 22,   With a 177 a 25 yard zero will allow you to shoot dead on out to about 32/33 yards but a 22 has more drop and the further it gets the worse it is.    Killing wise there is not a lot in it, I was always a 177 man and have taken most things that walk and fly with that Original 45 out to about 60 yards depending on the target.

But get a 22 up to 850 fps you are looking at 20 ft lbs maybe more but need an FAC to hold, so under 35 yards its just as easy to shoot and the pellets hold together better than 177 ones driven at over 1000 fps.        So 12ft lbs its 177 all the way,  but if you want to go the FAC route then 22.   Pellets start to fall apart at around 1000 fps.    I have seen pigeons taken as massive ranges using a Theoben Rapid 7 FAC in 20 caliber at about 850fps.   But there was at the time a shortage of quality projectiles.  

I did see a couple of Sportsmatch GC2s on Holts latest auctions,   Sportsmatch are still in business but making mounts only these days.  There is no doubt that using pre charged does make things a whole lot easier.

A

4 hours ago, Graham said:

The best air rifle I ever owned was a Sharp Inova. Superbly accurate.  Hitting bluebottles that landed on a white wall was easy at 10m.  With open sights too.  Was the ultimate tool on Autumn squirrels.

If you had the mind to it was very easy to adjust the power up to about 18 foot lbs.

Still got mine. Mine had peep sights rather than open (I guess that's what you meant rather than a scope)

More accurate than any Airsporter or similar of the time.

8 minutes ago, Peasgood said:

Still got mine. Mine had peep sights rather than open (I guess that's what you meant rather than a scope)

More accurate than any Airsporter or similar of the time.

Definitely open sights.  It was one of the original Japanese ones.  Maybe slightly later ones were fitted with peep sights?

If you ever think of selling I'd love to get hold of another.

14 hours ago, Graham said:

Definitely open sights.  It was one of the original Japanese ones.  Maybe slightly later ones were fitted with peep sights?

If you ever think of selling I'd love to get hold of another.

Sharps Innova, yes I had one to, quite the innovation in its day, recoilless to, I had a Daisy befor that but it required over 20 pumps to prime. I always went with the .177 for feathers .22 for fur. I had FAC air rifles running around 40 Ft/lbs for a few years but as already stated the .22 rimfire was far cheaper and more versatile. After 30 odd years with FAC rifles and back in the day pistols to, I recently gave them all up and now just use the shotguns. I do still have a .177 12ft/lb at the back of the cabinet just for the garden vermin, and cos I just cant let that one go.

• Like 1

It's all about pellet placement and your ability with rifle, if you head shoot them every time it's not going far.

Pellet that is consistent in rifle is a big thing as well 

Couldn’t agree more with the new pcp’s if you find a consistent pellet it’s only you that’s the error if you miss then.

I have a weirhauch hw100 “177”

I can accurately shoot rabbits at 46-52 yards

I ranged find them so I know the distance.

Excellent fun

• 5 months later...