Any air rifle gurus out there

miker

58 minutes ago, westphalian said:

boring answer but whatever is the most accurate pellet in your rifle will do the job

That is the boring but correct answer.

No good shooting with great pellets for ur mates gun if ur's doesn't like them.

For the OP i'd just stick with a 177 springer, cheap and cheerful get plenty prasctice in first, learn ur ranges and how to estimate them in field conditions and know ur drops etc, get confident before u go anywhere near live quarry. Learn a bit of field craft, wind, cover, moving slow etc using lamps/filters or full moons. U can knock decent numbers of rabbits off if u know wot ur doing with an airgun. Decent meat too, good for burgers

If u want to go onto PCP's or FAC's from there go for it but once u start u can spend a lot of money quickly esp if u devolp a taste for vension in ur freezer

34 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

That is the boring but correct answer.

No good shooting with great pellets for ur mates gun if ur's doesn't like them.

For the OP i'd just stick with a 177 springer, cheap and cheerful get plenty prasctice in first, learn ur ranges and how to estimate them in field conditions and know ur drops etc, get confident before u go anywhere near live quarry. Learn a bit of field craft, wind, cover, moving slow etc using lamps/filters or full moons. U can knock decent numbers of rabbits off if u know wot ur doing with an airgun. Decent meat too, good for burgers

If u want to go onto PCP's or FAC's from there go for it but once u start u can spend a lot of money quickly esp if u devolp a taste for vension in ur freezer

pretty much had air rifles all my life from 12 onwards, im 49 now,  just had a break for a while and not familiar with latest equipment, im not a bad shot allthough eyesight failing a bit !, country boy through and through, shot guns, rifles etc all under my belt, spent last 20 years building my business up and now im in the position to take a bit of a back seat and enjoy some stuff i did when younger, may even get another black widow catapult and smash some green houses lol

Thanks for all the input from everyone, reckon im going to go down the 177 route

• Like 1

After years of bunny bashing on a xmas tree farm, use Weirach HW100 14 shot PCP with scope and my son uses an Air arms S410 PCP withy scope, both .177 and are effective at 45+ yards and have given good service.

Great shooting shop is the Hunting lodge in East Peckham Kent also online, like a mini Cabella's.

I use a HW100 and love it, I impressed my dad the other day with a crow head shot from 45 yards! day after I had 2 Magpies the same, PCP is great, shot the first and the second come to see what was wrong... he found out the hard way

5 hours ago, Les Cork said:

After years of bunny bashing on a xmas tree farm, use Weirach HW100 14 shot PCP with scope and my son uses an Air arms S410 PCP withy scope, both .177 and are effective at 45+ yards and have given good service.

Great shooting shop is the Hunting lodge in East Peckham Kent also online, like a mini Cabella's.

I had a S200 and that was a belting gun for rabbiting. That came from the shop in Peckham, odd really as I live miles away.

In my early teens airguns were pretty much my life.

I experimented with just about every pellet going.

Remember Prometheus and Sussex Sabots?

The truth was my Wembley Vulcan Mk.2 always performed best with Eley Wasps.

I still get nostalgic when you get that whiff of a freshly opened tin of them.

I pulled off some outrageous shots but when I think about it I was doing a thousand slugs a week sometimes.

The Northumbrian countryside could probably produce a lucrative lead mine from my misses!

• Like 1

I shot a Webly Osprey .22 to bits, favourite sport was a cork or bobbin, or 35mm film container,  tossed out across a concrete street, and keep it moving by repeatdly hitting it over open sights.

I liked the .22 simply because the pellets were less fiddly.

Bugger is here in NI, even humble sub 12ftlbs air rifles are on a FAC.

Gerrr

The best air rifle I ever owned was a Sharp Inova. Superbly accurate.  Hitting bluebottles that landed on a white wall was easy at 10m.  With open sights too.  Was the ultimate tool on Autumn squirrels.

If you had the mind to it was very easy to adjust the power up to about 18 foot lbs.