Adding a hydraulic divertor to a digger.

Matthew Storrs

9 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Nothing really put me off it, basically I needed a 1.8t size machine for all the fiddly little jobs I get and I just wanted something that was easy and light to tow around around with a few attachments. The majority of my work will still be undertaken my 3 tonner so in a way I wasn’t that fussed that the 1.8t should be all singing and dancing. The Yanmar was more money than the Tak but not a lot, TBH the yanmar is a nicer machine,  it has   proportional roller controls on the joystick for the aux, track pedals, better method of expanding the blade width etc. Tak dealer is near to me and good so that helped.

In the 2.8t category the Yanmar sv26  would be the winner hands down if I was buying because it ticks every box I’d want from this size category- It is comfortably towable, still conventional tail, 10cm wider than the Tak too mega stable. good ground clearance, also the blade lowers more than the competition, I use this a lot for levelling the machine  on slopes so the more travel the better. Volvo ec27D looks a good option too, I’m not sure on the price mind yoo.

Good to hear, have had a b25v for about 10 years and to be honest have hung on hoping an immaculate 1000 hr one would turn up and i'd just replace like for like as it's been a cracking machine with just rollers, tracks and services for that time but after looking at prices a new one is viable at £23-26 depending on spec. Just hope its as good a machine as the last. 

2 hours ago, LeeGray said:

Good to hear, have had a b25v for about 10 years and to be honest have hung on hoping an immaculate 1000 hr one would turn up and i'd just replace like for like as it's been a cracking machine with just rollers, tracks and services for that time but after looking at prices a new one is viable at £23-26 depending on spec. Just hope its as good a machine as the last. 

That’s a good price regardless of the spec. Trying to find a owner operator machine that has done 1000 hrs is a pretty tough call. And if it’s only a few years old the n the money it will command will still make buying new worthwhile in the long run. Whenever Iv done the sums based on resale values Iv always found that the cost per hour/depreciation works out similar whether it’s new or used- only with new you get a machine that you can look afte from scratch/ dealer backup and looks tidy for the buisness.

i was lucky last year and found a 2007 Takeuchi tb125 in immaculate condition with only 1000hrs, 12 miles down the road, I snapped it up but overwise id have bought new.

• 3 weeks later...

Take a look at the schematic I have drawn up.  This is how I have achieved a 2nd service for my machines.  I have had to use the dozer blade circuit on machines such as a JCB 8025 where the boom offset is already linked to the slew lever via a change over valve.  On the U17 it is set up on the Boom offset pedal, but I am going to change it to the dozer circuit as I think I will get a more refined control and it will standardize systems.

Hope you can view the pdf file.

ATB

Kubota U17 2nd Aux. Hyd. Circuit Schematic.pdf

I wanted the JCB 8025 but could not get any sense out of the main dealers so I bought a U27-4 Kubota with an extra service instead . Its not due here for a few weeks but I am curious as to how or what they have switched/diverted to achieve the two extra lines.

Bob

Would a rock/ripping tooth and a thumb make a good poor mans grapple??

A bit finer/more accurate than a bucket and thumb

Been thinking about buying a tooth for a job anyway, if u combined that with a thumb would it be quite handy?

Must admit i;ve never needed or used a rippping tooth, grapple or thumb on a digger before, so wondering wot opinions are from those that use them.

Also is there any disadvantages of putting a thumb on a digger?

Does it get in the way for more normal digging duties?

14 hours ago, drinksloe said:

Would a rock/ripping tooth and a thumb make a good poor mans grapple??

A bit finer/more accurate than a bucket and thumb

Been thinking about buying a tooth for a job anyway, if u combined that with a thumb would it be quite handy?

Must admit i;ve never needed or used a rippping tooth, grapple or thumb on a digger before, so wondering wot opinions are from those that use them.

Also is there any disadvantages of putting a thumb on a digger?

Does it get in the way for more normal digging duties?

Depends what you use your machine for largely. I have a manual grapple at the moment for my 3 tonner which I use for rock handling/walling and I find it ace- ok for moderate timber handling and general brash all sorts really- you can be very precise moving stuff and they are durable.

that said recently Iv been spending a bit of time on a few machines that have had RSL thumbs fitted- if you just want something that’s handy and always there available then these make a great option- they don’t get in the way of digging really- although it’s more bulk on your dipper. They’re great though if your mainly digging and just need something that’s there to move rocks/timber/concrete or whatever as you come accross it.

rotator based grab I would say are better for those who have more dedicated use for their grabs- they take a little longer to take on and off, are more expensive but if your just into timber handling then you probably wouldn’t bother with anything else.

15 hours ago, aspenarb said:

I wanted the JCB 8025 but could not get any sense out of the main dealers so I bought a U27-4 Kubota with an extra service instead . Its not due here for a few weeks but I am curious as to how or what they have switched/diverted to achieve the two extra lines.

Bob

If it’s a factory order you’ve gone for- wouldn’t they just have an extra service off the main valve block with control being perhaps one set off a foot pedal an the other of the joystick buttons. I know my Takeuchi Iv just received had to be a speacial order from the factory in Japan to get 2 dedicated aux services. Otherwise you have to go down the divertor route which is the problem I have.

15 hours ago, Tom BOP said:

Take a look at the schematic I have drawn up.  This is how I have achieved a 2nd service for my machines.  I have had to use the dozer blade circuit on machines such as a JCB 8025 where the boom offset is already linked to the slew lever via a change over valve.  On the U17 it is set up on the Boom offset pedal, but I am going to change it to the dozer circuit as I think I will get a more refined control and it will standardize systems.

Hope you can view the pdf file.

ATB

Kubota U17 2nd Aux. Hyd. Circuit Schematic.pdf

Thank Tom.

interesting- so you’ve used the horn 12v to operate the divertor solenoid? I’m not hugely familiar with how it all works so I’d probably get someone to set it up for me, il show them you diagram for reference, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/07/2018 at 22:33, aspenarb said:

Bob

Did you get the Kubota delivered yet Bob? How’d they get the extra lines? Been quoted 2 grand to get 2 extra (aftermarket) lines from supplying dealer on new yanmar but short delivery as machines in stock or 3k to get factory fit but could be 6 months lead and price of basic machine a bit higher as not a keen deal as on stock. I’ll keep the machine for a long time so not worried about resale but don’t want to regret if control isn’t good and I can’t go back and order factory. I’d value any input!