Adding a hydraulic divertor to a digger.

Matthew Storrs

29 minutes ago, LeeGray said:

Did you get the Kubota delivered yet Bob? How’d they get the extra lines? Been quoted 2 grand to get 2 extra (aftermarket) lines from supplying dealer on new yanmar but short delivery as machines in stock or 3k to get factory fit but could be 6 months lead and price of basic machine a bit higher as not a keen deal as on stock. I’ll keep the machine for a long time so not worried about resale but don’t want to regret if control isn’t good and I can’t go back and order factory. I’d value any input!

Should be here in the next week or two Lee, machine is being supplied by Boss plant. Jon Wiseman their sales manager has been a star, got the machine at a good price,  he has sorted out the factory parts and retro fitted the extra services, sorted out a better hitch and kept in touch throughout.

Was not happy with the last Whites quickhitch setup on our other machine , gets very sloppy on the buckets in no time , its a very narrow pin bearing so Jon got onto another crowd that are tailor making the hitch to our specs which should  be a lot more stable. As soon as the hitch and buckets are made/fitted  it should be ready for collection, will get some snaps.

http://www.bossplantsales.co.uk/

Bob

• Like 1

Bob, have you considered the powertilt hitch, Iv got one on my new Takeuchi and it’s fantastic for paths, grading and landscaping I know you do a lot of tracks etc so thought it might be worth a look. I actually think it will save on machine wear and tear over the years as less machine movements and less wear on undercarriage parts

Its on the to get list Matthew :thumbup1:

Mick Dundee knocked up a four feet  wide steel curved grading tool that bolts in place of the teeth on a bucket, that forms  the small camber on the scalps prior to rolling. Works well but that to could do with a power tilt, may get him to add a ram.

Bob

Edit. Just getting around to butchering a Pel job I bought a few years ago, its getting a 2ltr perkins, extra pumps, services and caged up. Will take some snaps.

Edited by aspenarb

18 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Bob, have you considered the powertilt hitch, Iv got one on my new Takeuchi and it’s fantastic for paths, grading and landscaping I know you do a lot of tracks etc so thought it might be worth a look. I actually think it will save on machine wear and tear over the years as less machine movements and less wear on undercarriage parts

got any photos matthew, would love to see it set up. Did you get the diverter done or you using the hammer lines only for the tilt? Is it hydraulic hitch too?

2 hours ago, LeeGray said:

got any photos matthew, would love to see it set up. Did you get the diverter done or you using the hammer lines only for the tilt? Is it hydraulic hitch too?

Here you go, tried to take a video but was too big to upload.

iv just got this on a semi quick hitch, for now it’s just of the hammer lines which is fine for bucket use. I may get it diverted if I want to use the tilt function but the attachments I use currently such as auger and post knocked don’t really need the tilt function so I just disconnect the hoses and use as a standard hitch.

Not terribly streamlined as yet, but this machine is only really going to be used for the little jobs so can’t really justify twin lines on the machine. I think If I had it on my 3 tonner I’d want the machine with twin lines, not sure I’d bother with a hydraulic hitch- with these small machines it takes literally seconds to just stick the back pin in if using a semi hitch. 

C92B22F6-4871-466F-AE95-BD5A89441AA4.jpeg

E7E129CB-88CF-473F-BC35-60C635E51A7E.jpeg

Looks great, thanks for posting. How much was the hitch if you don’t mind me asking? I priced up a hydraulic hitch as had two semi hitches both had quite a bit of play after 1000hrs and was thinking the hydraulic would stay tight forever and £1000 fitted seams alright but the I could put the cash towards a full tilt/rotate set up instead. 

Looking at all the different options has got me paralysed for choice, half the time thinking I’ll just go standard off the shelf and it’ll be grand, I could pick up machine straight away and be working with it this week but other half thinking well if I’m getting new might as well go for four pipes and Engcon or steelwrist it’ll be a huge step forward and make my work quicker/easier/more interesting and profitable but there’s a shitload of options in between and the dealers aren’t exactly helpfull when they would prefer to just sell the stock they have on the books or in the yard and get the easy money.

If you get stuck Matthew I can install a diverter for a 2nd aux for you, do quite alot of these, just fitted one to a new 3.5 ton Hitachi today in London

I also run this set up on my TB228 for rotate and grab lines.

1 hour ago, LeeGray said:

Looks great, thanks for posting. How much was the hitch if you don’t mind me asking? I priced up a hydraulic hitch as had two semi hitches both had quite a bit of play after 1000hrs and was thinking the hydraulic would stay tight forever and £1000 fitted seams alright but the I could put the cash towards a full tilt/rotate set up instead. 

Looking at all the different options has got me paralysed for choice, half the time thinking I’ll just go standard off the shelf and it’ll be grand, I could pick up machine straight away and be working with it this week but other half thinking well if I’m getting new might as well go for four pipes and Engcon or steelwrist it’ll be a huge step forward and make my work quicker/easier/more interesting and profitable but there’s a shitload of options in between and the dealers aren’t exactly helpfull when they would prefer to just sell the stock they have on the books or in the yard and get the easy money.

I bought the hitch used (it was off same machine and had only done 250hrs) so got it for £1600. I did phone around for a new one and most were quoting around £3500 for the same hitch new which I probably wouldn’t have gone for  and just got a tilting bucket instead. Powertilt has 180deg tilt and you can stand the bucket vertically- great for bankings and landscaping/tidy ditching etc.

Yeah I can see your predicament. I guess you just need to figure out how much of your work will really benefit from a full tilt rotator setup. I think you’d be looking at £5k plus for a basis tilt rotator setup, possibly quite a bit more.?Not really sure.

The powertilt is a superb hitch, if you had a hydraulic coupler on it- itd be very easy to reverse the bucket and use with the tilt, get a diverter on the aux to cover attachment use. Would cover a lot of basis I’d have thought.

• Like 1

Go 4-hose, get a machine factory fitted with proportional rocker switches on the joysticks. Get S-type hitch/buckets while you’re at it and you can get a tilty any time in the future easy peasy! 

• Like 2

Semi hitch should be quite easy to rebush the back pin to maintain tightness? A few quid in bushes in the powertilt every 1000hrs I think would be pretty cheap maintenance...