How many hours do you put into your business?

Stefan Palokangas

I have seen many "go hard or go home" types in this industry and others, and right now, they have all gone home that I can think of. Gone on to easier jobs, to a simpler living working for others, or injured out.

Like most on here, I have worked quite a few industries. My record is working 72 hours straight. In another job we did a standard 96 hour week and most weeks got more put on top of that. Ran 3 log books driving trucks, etc etc

Im old enough to know what this can lead to. Seen the accidents, the injuries and the burn outs. 

We shouldnt be pushing each other to put in more hours, it doesnt lead anywhere good. In summer I can put in 50-60 hours climbing, dragging, on the tools, and another 30 to 40 quoting, fixing gear, doing paperwork. Do I advise others to do the same? heck no. Do I expect my staff to? Not in a million years. 

Work smarter, not harder

• Like 7

Good story that.

I once did a job requiring 4 men and taking a week with 2 chippers, tractors and grain trailers for chip, 30m mewp, Bobcat, large stump grinder.

Quite an assembly of equipment.

I was super proud, jobs of this catagory rolling in.

The actual cleared profit, that is my spending money I could put back into my families pocket at the end of it, after all expenses, social charges, company tax and personal income tax came to far less than I make in day cutting domestic hedges for cash. Outlay being my own car, a light trailer, steps and hedgecutter. Oh, and a rake of course, lost without a rake.

Yeh, felt good to assemble and command a veritable arb army but I can't feed my family on ego and adrenalin.

I read a report on Carillion's demise and the slim margins they worked too.

I saw that more could mean less.

However, I believe I can grow a business again. 

Small enough to absorb those little cash rich jobs and large enough to satisfy the little boy inside me who needs to own a truck and chipper.

I look back at my time sheets with wonder.

At the time a source of pride justifying my efforts to build a business.

My certificate of effort.

Gold Star Stue you hit 80hours again.

Well it was all for nothing.

Except experience and one I won't be repeating ever again.

Ty

• Like 12

I’m on a holiday in Avimore, here to spend some quality time with my adorable fiancé and fantastic dogs Corrie and Ria. They mean everything to me: they support me always. Wasn’t going to log in but curiosity took over. Guys .
I see some saying I run a easy job, I don’t get tired. I did the hard work when I was young, I started out at age of 5 with a knife, took down a lot of trees, worked long days to keep dad happy. At age 12 I got my first Husqvarna 242 , Worked in our own forest and had a John Deere tractor 1650 if I remember right a 1984 model. Everyday from that age to 19 I did that. Entering military I realise my own strength at age 19, nothing I ever done or have ever since done comparing to that experience. Worked with precision felling trees beside power lines after military a 9 years. Done a 10 years of robotic welding also, And now at my age I have slowed down quite a lot, It’s a culture chock, that’s what this is. I have worked with hard people in my life, while now I just see softies. Some jumping to conclusions I can’t afford to get bigger machine, some think I’m not succeeding, or whatever conclusions some lot is making. You reflect your own failures, sad but true. Anyway I been here for two days now and I filled in a couple of days of work already up north, Mixing dog walks with getting work , Fantastic opportunities here.
Also got 8 phone calls from this thread itself for stump grinding jobs. Thanks ! Really thankful [emoji108]

But now I’m going to jump in a 5 hour pre heated sauna, poor heat bill. [emoji81][emoji81]. And a lot of buds. [emoji6][emoji6]

Have a nice weekend [emoji173]️

• Like 2

He has been posting this sort of stuff for years.

Telling us how he was going to sell his house to buy a big cherry picker take over the world etc. He received some good advice re. pricing etc. Turned out he bottled that and carried on twiddling levers

When it was just a post as part of a thread he was mostly ignored or laughed at.

His original post on this thread was boasting, and changing the thread title from “how to grow your business” to “how many hours do you work?” Doesn’t change that.

You are such a inspirational kind of guy. [emoji106]. Getting a genuine feel of forward thinking from you. Your life must have been full of joy and opportunities. I also get a feel you want your fellow people to do very good and I know you feel happy for them. You sir are indeed a inspiration .

[emoji23]

5 minutes ago, Stefan Palokangas said:

You are such a inspirational kind of guy. emoji106.png. Getting a genuine feel of forward thinking from you. Your life must have been full of joy and opportunities. I also get a feel you want your fellow people to do very good and I know you feel happy for them. You sir are indeed a inspiration .

emoji23.png

Don't be fooled into thinking that saying positive things means anything, it doesn't.

On 14/06/2018 at 19:41, Chessa said:

I think he’s not passionate about money per se - just a passion for “living”. He obviously loves his work just now, and “now” is just a snapshot in time. Time is not linear, although life seems to be... 

I reckon the poor guy was just trying to share enthusiasm and a positive attitude to work - and I’m guessing he is young.

Give him a break - one and all - he means no harm. 

He’s full of optimism and hope, grinding away...

Come on Chessa ! That did not even rhyme ........?

• Like 1

On 14/06/2018 at 20:59, Gary Prentice said:

There was a point?

So that's what the hats for? Head down covering the closed eyes.

"I was deep in thought" if anyway wakes you.

I also make sure the tablet is left on - the constant stream of material off Arbtalk , makes me look busy ;) k