How many hours do you put into your business?

Stefan Palokangas

49 minutes ago, Stumpy Grinder said:

I'm not sure I quite believe the 126 hours bit?

That works out at 7 x 18 hour days per week!  That only leaves 6 hours per day not working (or 42 hours per week)!!  6 hours per day to sleep, wash, eat, walk dogs, maintain a relationship, etc is not really viable and certainly not sustainable. I work some long hours doing a few different jobs, but to claim 126 hours per week is either slightly false, or complete madness.

SG

Me neither. He posted on Arbtalk Facebook on pricing a job. Customer had winced at the price that he thought fair. Worked out at £74 an hour including driving. How can you charge that per hour do 126 hour weeks and not be VAT registered?

As Steve says though something maybe lost in translation and I admire his enthusiasm. Good luck to you Stefan regardless but no work is worth an early grave IMO

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ty Korrigan said:

This, I can relate too.

Once whilst addressing the clients wife, I thought I'd offered to lower the price ( bassè )

Instead, I offered to ####  ( baisè ) her for a price.

Luckily some French are enthusiastic Anglo-phone so I still got the job and the clients wife made it clear the invitation to ' baisè ' remains open...

Ty

You messy little sod! Stick to tree work, birds are only trouble at your time of life. Disgraceful.

You messy little sod! Stick to tree work, birds are only trouble at your time of life. Disgraceful.

That's a mine field in French.
The smallest mispronunciation can cause hilarity...
My mum went into a large homes store and asked the cashier
"Je voudrais cinq matelo svp"
The cashier and the queue behind burst into laughter.
Matela = mattress
Matelo = sailor
[emoji23][emoji3][emoji106]
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

That’s a tricky one....

I’d submit, especially given the nature of the thread (and as might relate to TT for example), that it “could” be the unwavering belief of being too good to die which facilitates or accelerates that which “they” think they are too good to happen to them...

Not sure that makes sense but I think it was put more simply earlier - work yourself into an early / open grave....

I’ve used this quote/image before:

7F9E734E-1DF7-4C01-9588-CC53ECD31ECC.jpeg

re. The TT. I know two or three lads who used to race and known had the opinion that they were too good. What they did have was an acceptance of the risk. To them it was a risk/reward analysis (not that I think they put that much thought into it) Speed, Bikes, and being competitive was what they did, the risks were part of that and they just had to accept that or stop. I suppose that different folks just simply have different levels of risk aversion. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Timbermcpherson said:

Genius! Work more hours. Why didnt anyone else think of that? Can you tell me who these "greats" are that do 126 hours a week? How many years have you been doing over 100 hours week?

Your a solo playstation stumper pilot talking to a bunch of guys who risk there necks every day in a dangerous often back breaking industry and have to manage staff around situation more dynamic that a chunk of wood stuck in the ground. I have been grinding stumps for 15 years, there really isnt that much to it aside from it takes gear and time once you have a little experience.

You get tired and make a mistake, nobody else is likely to get hurt unless your driving between jobs.

Your taking no risks (unless you really think a bankloan is something to fear). Your either to ignorant or fearful of having staff if your really got that much work, you have no dependents, your just putting in the hours because you can and dont know any better and have yet to learn what sustainability means.

Giving others the rather dangerous advice to do more hours is misguided at best.

It's all Gung ho crap really. 126 hours said so many times it's believed.

I was once told: Believe nothing you hear and half you see.  Can't go far wrong then.

4 hours ago, Timbermcpherson said:

• Like 1

Cant see how anyone could kill themselves overworking, fatigue would set it long before that. Folk do burn out though and normally end up changing direction.

Bob

A friend recently finished a hard week at the end of several other hard weeks and drove home at 23:00 on a Friday, desperate for his bed. Put his car into the central reservation. As it happens, no injury but that could have just as easily not been the case.