Roadside price of larch chipwood

It's a long extraction route on this job (from the far corner of the stand to the roadside is 650-700m), so I was simply thinking of the best way to maximise the efficiency in extraction. 3m would be fine thought too. 

That being said, most of the hauliers use artics up here, and you'd get at least 3 bays at 3.5m, which with fresh larch would see you up to 25t. 

I'll stick to 3m though if I get it. 

1 hour ago, Big J said:

It's a long extraction route on this job (from the far corner of the stand to the roadside is 650-700m), so I was simply thinking of the best way to maximise the efficiency in extraction. 3m would be fine thought too. 

That being said, most of the hauliers use artics up here, and you'd get at least 3 bays at 3.5m, which with fresh larch would see you up to 25t. 

I'll stick to 3m though if I get it. 

Depending how tight the site is and how much you want to overhang you could also step up to 4.8/5m lengths. For chipping especially it's less handling for everyone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gdh said:

Depending how tight the site is and how much you want to overhang you could also step up to 4.8/5m lengths. For chipping especially it's less handling for everyone. 

Could be a possibility. Would fit on the forwarder, and would mean I could run a much lower load (as in height - better stability)  out and still maintain the tonnage. 

• Like 1

On closer inspection, if appears the trees are a little larger than originally thought, so there would probably be a number of loads of 3.1m lengths with an 18cm TDUB. How much higher would you price that than the chipwood? Could probably extend to 3.7m if required. 

4 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

Depending on who you know, the spec., how much you buy and how swiftly you pay £ 28 - 34 / Tonne.

I think that it must be a lot higher in the north of the UK. I've not heard of anything under £40 a tonne delivered lately.

Wish we could find timber at that price ... if any timber at all .. this has come from one of the guys we used to do mensuration of sites for and was one of the harvesting mangers for at the F.C. that two lots of Sitka fetched £60 a tonne standing in the borders in the last few months, prices are rocketing wether they stay i doubt it, but it will be good for some but the small saw mills and firewood merchants will suffer over next few years unless they have timber sewn up.

• Like 1

Bit out of date but these are the Welsh averages for anyone interested. We got lucky and managed to buy a few hundred tons at £38 delivered last month but we were getting quotes at the same time for £50 so it's very unstable at the moment. 

Screenshot_20180613-202532.png

• Like 2