Fallen Trees

Good afternoon,

(hoping I have this in the right section)

In the wood behind the house, where the boys play there is a path. Last winter 2 trees were blown down half way - and are now propped up by a third, dead tree (it is a 'stump' about 15' high). These trees span the path - enough space to still run under them though.

So the tall stump has one tree on each side of it and is holding each up with a branch. The 2 fallen trees are proper big pines (about 2' diameter at the base, and quite long). The base of the stump tree is cracked and it is starting to fall over. Normally I wouldn't bother and let nature do its thing in a safe way... but the boys play in the woods. Chances are that if / when the trees all fall down there will be no one abouts but....

Recently the trees have moved - so I suspect they will fall soon.

So my question is... is there a safe way to make all these trees no longer be in the air? I can pop photos on later. I can access the base of the stump tree and its crack... but if I cut through there the tree above could come straight down. If I cut through the fallen trees near the base, they might move in unexpected ways. It could be possible to put a rope around a tree and try pulling them - but I'm not sure how much force I would need for that. Third option is to let that path over grow and cut though the weeds and let the boys run another way... but I would prefer the trees to be on the ground.

Thanks in advance. and I suspect the answer is going to be a combination of let a professional have a look and leave it well alone myself

Really a lot will depend on if its ur wood and if a public footpath.

Diverting the track might be the easiest temp measure

With the trees depending how they are lying u may be able to cut 1 of the leaning trees in such a way it will 'pull'/roll of of the tree its held on, depending on the exact situ.

Otherwise it will be a winch/tirfor job to pull the leaning trees over safely 1st.

Wot ever u do u really do not want to be cutting at a base of a tree (esp a dead cracked tree) with 2 trees hung up in it, the stem itself go go anywhere plus high chance of random branches (widow makers) falling on top off u.

As has been said winblown (even when fully on deck) and hung up trees can be a nightmare even for experienced cutters

• Like 1

As far as I can remember, the moment you touch/do any work on a fallen tree it becomes your responsibility.

If you fell a tree and it hangs up, you're legally bound to get it on the ground before walking away.

I get many windblown trees in the woodland and as long as they're not a danger I leave them but the ones close to the ride or visible to some knumpty wanting to climb it, it's taken down to ground level.

If you think they're a danger, rope the path off until it's grown over and make a new one.

• Like 2

Thanks - I thought the answer would be to leave well alone and to get the boys to run about somewhere else until they fall over.  I like the idea that somehow I could make them roll off the stump tree - not sure if it would work though but I could do that from a distance.

A couple of pictures of the trees here and more about the woods below (not mine but it is where my kids play and I don't want them to get hurt)

Picture 1 and 2 how the trees are, pictures 3 and 4 are the crack at the base of the stump.

Since you're asking - the woodland (its small) is a council wood grown as a shield between our houses (4 houses on our road) and the cemetry and sewerge works behind them. Access to the wood is limited - a stream (complete with occasional sewerage overflow) on 2 sides, 3rd side is the back gardens and a small amount of road, wire fence and tall hedge that would need to be cut to get access, and side 4 is the cemetry where you need to climb over a decent distance of brambles - the only feasable access is through the back gardens. Effectivly then only our houses have access to the wood. It hasn't been maintained in 20 years (apparently). I mowed a path in them for the boys to run around. No public rights of way. I can alter the path just by walking a different way with the mower. I haven't touched any of the trees in the wood (not mine) but would in this case helping nature along a bit to make it safer for the boys

SUNP0002.JPG

SUNP0003.JPG

SUNP0004.JPG

SUNP0005.JPG

8 hours ago, Steven P said:

the woodland (its small) is a council wood

Well if it is a council owned wood you should have a very easy solution.  Contact the council tree officer and explain there are dangerous looking trees in their wood which you know children play in.

It goes without saying they have a responsibility to keep their woods safe, so especially if you point out one tree seems to be moving.  They will have their own professionals and sub-contractors whom they can easily employ to make it all safe.

AHPP - that was a thought I had when we moved in, to go for something like that. We get the benefits but none of the risks (OK apart from trees falling on my head).

Squaredy - probably the best option, just I had a feeling that it would take an hour on the phone to organise something, that would take 20 minutes to fix.. plus for the access they might want us to be in so they can get access through the gardens (a half days holiday). Thanks