Another tachograph thread...

Big J

1 hour ago, billpierce said:

Does it not make a difference if it is your job. I.e Jonathan's work is forestry and extraction not transport to hire forwarder.

Would you need a tacho to drive a landy and heavy chipper?

You need a tacho if your outfit weights over 3500kgs gross and you are towing for commercial use so for your work. There is an exemption if you don’t travel more than 100kms from your base however I’m not an expert so you would have to read up. 

The daft thing is if its your chipper to use for personal use you don’t need one. It’s nothing to do with vehicles it’s all about you earning money when it comes to us light veichles.  Obviously you need the correct drivers license unless your of a certain age. 

The whole thing is a Farse but they won’t change it. The rules are clear as day if you drive a HGV but not for us. If they do start picking vans and pickups I have no dought the check points will be full of prohibited veichles. I pass Carlisle and the Dumfries check points regular and have been totally ignored but I’m sure that will change. I believe I’m doing everything I can to be fully legal and comply but until Your stopped and they pick your records apart you don’t know for sure! 

My my best advise, a clean truck and trailer with tidy straps looks far more professional than a shit covered one with loose straps trailing all over the place. I know which one id pull over. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bankhouse builder said:

Is the 100km rule as the crow flies from address where vehicle is registered to point of destination. I don't normally go out of this area for work but I do go to an auction which road distance is over but straight point to point is under.

100km Radius from base  Mr Builder.

Bob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bankhouse builder said:

Is the 100km rule as the crow flies from address where vehicle is registered to point of destination. I don't normally go out of this area for work but I do go to an auction which road distance is over but straight point to point is under.

Yes crow flies / radius I use this tool.

https://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm

• Like 2

So using this as an example, if big J travelled up north for a week every month, which would need to be taco'd, and local the rest of month where he'd be fine without a taco.

So that means he has to run with taco on constantly even when not strictly needed to prove wot he's up to for when he does travel north.

Say in normal work he's doing 5x12hr days (within the 60miles) but ur recording it for travelling north later in month, would that be too many hours each week?

How does the taco know ur not sleeping for a few hours mid shift as the van will be likely sat at roadside for 12hrs.

If thats the case and too many hours, prob be worth buying a scrap van to use anytime the forwarder is left on site so no one needs to know wot ur up to, infact it might be easier having a scrap 4x4 thats capable of towing it for local work, defeats the purpose (and extra tax ins, etc) but atleast then u could put ur hours in.

And having ur taco for going north.

Seems hellish complicated to me

On 20/06/2018 at 21:40, drinksloe said:

So using this as an example, if big J travelled up north for a week every month, which would need to be taco'd, and local the rest of month where he'd be fine without a taco.

So that means he has to run with taco on constantly even when not strictly needed to prove wot he's up to for when he does travel north.

Say in normal work he's doing 5x12hr days (within the 60miles) but ur recording it for travelling north later in month, would that be too many hours each week?

How does the taco know ur not sleeping for a few hours mid shift as the van will be likely sat at roadside for 12hrs.

If thats the case and too many hours, prob be worth buying a scrap van to use anytime the forwarder is left on site so no one needs to know wot ur up to, infact it might be easier having a scrap 4x4 thats capable of towing it for local work, defeats the purpose (and extra tax ins, etc) but atleast then u could put ur hours in.

And having ur taco for going north.

Seems hellish complicated to me

Keep a diary if im away from the lorry for hours i take the tacho out as i work for a company with several drivers so there is nothing to say another driver wont jump in the lorry which will automatically change the tacho mode 

Do a print out at the end of the day and write on it break times and why you removed tacho i.e others may be using vehicle or you are away 

If you leave it running all day without a break you will be fined regardless even if you had a break you will get a fine for incorrect use of tacho settings 

Vosa have told my coworker that a diary manually filled out is perfectly acceptable for recording days that you arnt driving however you can also fill out a paper tacho every day if you find that easier 

There is a fine for every day within the last 28days that you cannot provide some kind of record for 

Also the law has changed previously you could only be fined for tacho offences on that day 

Now you can be find for any offences within the last 28days on the spot with indefinite backdating upon further investigation

• 2 weeks later...

How does it work if you are doing personal trips in a vehicle with a tachograph? Still presumably recorded as normal? 

I've ordered the tacho. £1250 plus VAT for supply, installation and calibration. Ouch.

How does it work if you are doing personal trips in a vehicle with a tachograph? Still presumably recorded as normal? 

I've ordered the tacho. £1250 plus VAT for supply, installation and calibration. Ouch.

Switch it to out of scope mode when driving as normal
  • Thanks 1