Another tachograph thread...

Big J

As we all know, the laws regarding tachos are as clear as mud, but even through the murkiness of UK vehicle law, I think I need a tacho. 

Moving down to Devon next month, giving up sawmilling (on a commercial basis) and going back into low impact forestry. Have a mini forwarder coming from Finland, and my original plan was to stay within 100km of my base in Devon and not need a tacho. 

However, there appears to be huge amounts of work in Southern Scotland, some of which could prove fairly lucrative. This would mean a 300 mile commute in each direction. I'd only plan to do a week a month, but it's that long distance haul that is going to put me on the wrong side of the tacho law I think. 

Are there any exceptions for towing plant? Any forestry exceptions? Anything I can use as a work around to avoid having to spend £1400 on a little electronic supervisor for me and my driving? 

I don't mind that much, but this forestry van is starting to get a bit expensive with all the extras added to it! 

Sadly not from what I can see. And you will need to tacho all your trips the week you travel over 100km to prove what you've done that week. 

Thankfully you'll be driver CPC exempt (tools of the trade) but will be subject to EU driving hours regulations! 

Our transport consultant thinks vans and trailers will be targeted a lot more in the coming years :thumbdown:

• Thanks 1

Indeed DVSA will be targeting pick ups and vans with trailers as they have just launched a new programme to remotely monitor HGV companies on a voluntary basis meaning they have the time to focus on other things. Any respecting haulage company will sign up as they are far less likely to be stoped. 

I run run a transporter and trailer and cover a huge area of the country. For you to be legal you will need, 

previous 28 working days records in cab 

spare tacho roll 

defect book for van

defeft book for trailer ( all up to date of course because you wouldn’t be driving anything with a defect) 

tacho card must be downloaded every 28 days 

tacho unit downloaded every 54 if I remember correct. 

It’s a real pain in the arse having to monitor all your hours. I use an app on my phone linked with my vehicle tracker so I always know how long I’ve driven for with or without the trailer. 

Edited by Sveriges
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You will also need to watch your total hours , especially in one day ...ie  lets say you drive for 1 hr in the morning , work all day with the machine and then do a long drive home ( from Scotland )  you could easily fall foul of the rules , working time directive esp ...

• Like 1

Yep, figured that too. I'd do a short day on the Friday to keep me legal. That being said, I'd probably be staying on site, so would have no drive in the morning, and thus the start of my working day would be undefinable.

It irritates me tremendously that the people towing badly loaded caravans and horse boxes twice a year (that in my mind represent a much greater public safety risk) are no subject to any such regulation.

5 minutes ago, Big J said:

Yep, figured that too. I'd do a short day on the Friday to keep me legal. That being said, I'd probably be staying on site, so would have no drive in the morning, and thus the start of my working day would be undefinable.

It irritates me tremendously that the people towing badly loaded caravans and horse boxes twice a year (that in my mind represent a much greater public safety risk) are no subject to any such regulation.

It’s all about hire or reward. If it were your own forest and not selling the timber you wouldn’t need a tacho at all.

Get this, if a horse box owner is competing with there horse in a competition with The potential to win a substantial amount they fall under tacho regs. Even if they were competing with a donky and didn’t stand a chance it makes no difference. If there is no reward then you don’t need one. The law doesn’t mention a threshold tho it just says substantial. Well what does that mean £500 or £50,000

The system is set of HGVs and it should be left at that. There should be a more user friendly system for us part time tacho users.  

• Like 1