Secondary Attachment when on the pole/spikes?

Sambo

7 hours ago, Tommy_B said:

Explain this a bit more please? I wouldn't fancy using the zigzag on just a single line on its own. If you choke the rope through a ring, and pull a bight through and to the top crab and a pulley,  you would be much better off. You wouldn't be over extending the links.

I would only use that method of descent in an emergency situation and yes you can use the zigzag single line with no extra friction in the system,ive seen it done.Is it recommended by petzl-no.

Does it place extra stress on the zz links-yes.

But in an emergency my last concern would be my friction device

13 minutes ago, stihlmadasever said:

I would only use that method of descent in an emergency situation and yes you can use the zigzag single line with no extra friction in the system,ive seen it done.Is it recommended by petzl-no.

Does it place extra stress on the zz links-yes.

But in an emergency my last concern would be my friction device

Fair point well made mate. 

Each to their own though, I'd still always go for a rope guide over using kit wrong. Not knocking you though buddy

• Like 1

On 11/06/2018 at 21:40, Sambo said:

Just a quick enquiry to see what people do for their secondary attachment when on a stem chogging down? I always used to choker the line and use a prussic but I've always though this was a bit shady! any better solutions?

Cheers!

Good enuff fr me K

.. having said I was taught to put fig 8 we did also just put the drt climbing line round stem on my 39 course like Steve said so this was under instructor supervision.
I just don't do it like that now (mostly) because I like the quick exit option - Hitchclimber and multisaver I can descend with one hand.

On 11/06/2018 at 22:12, Steve Bullman said:

Confession time I have never used either.  I just used to leave my Ddrt set up round the trunk.

Both the above answers are the correct way to go about it if you want to play it by the book.  I was always too lazy, probably fortunate it never came back to bite me in the arse

This is all I've ever done.

• Like 2

Chokered single line (Krab or running bowline with a tail to retrieve) with a zigzag for me as well. It would be very quick in the event of an emergency bail out. The ZZ 3 is pretty bombproof now they have addressed the issues.
Not really recommended if you wanted to be legalistic about it, but very effective nonetheless.