Secondary Attachment when on the pole/spikes?

Sambo

There are some  options to descend from a stem on a prussic,single rope.

Munter hitch,figure 8 or just wrap the tail round your arse for extra friction as you come down.

The latter was mines for ages when i climbed on a prussic.Never had to use it though.

In reality chokering your ddrt system was just incase you take a slip

I've noticed a lot of variation with different climbers with this issue  as well as freshly trained climbers not sure how to best look after themselves in this regard. 

I think climbers should organise themselves in a way that if they have a problem all they have to do is release their positioning lanyard and lower themselves down. In the event they can't do it for themselves the rescue climber can relatively easily operate the system for them. 

My personal preference is an SRT set up. As said before it is possible tie on with a long tail at the top of the stem, come down a few feet as appropriate and do some of the work (face/gob cut, install lowering gear etc. ) before pulling the climb line down and  re positioning it below your work positioning lanyard and finishing the work. This way the climber is protected from above much of the time. This is also helpful on awkward difficult to balance on stems.

The figure of eight descender on a choked rope approach can work this way as well.

A simaler approach works fairly well with a cambium saver  type of device and ddrt.

As with everything some care and judgement is required. I was descending a thin ash pole by lowering off a adjustable cambium saver choking the stem and it slipped... as a consequence I fell to the floor. Very lucky, I got away with it un-hurt.  Perhaps there was a enough friction to slow me down a bit  but it didn't feel it.

I have come across students who have been taught to climb on two lanyards....     I don't understand why this would be taught and I'm pretty confident it was not what I was shown when I did my training.

I'm curious as to what people are currently being taught?

3 hours ago, stihlmadasever said:

Choker a biner round the stem with zz but in single rope.I just spike down with my flipline on stems but if i had to get down i could on the zz srt 

Explain this a bit more please? I wouldn't fancy using the zigzag on just a single line on its own. If you choke the rope through a ring, and pull a bight through and to the top crab and a pulley,  you would be much better off. You wouldn't be over extending the links.

I’m pretty sure they are just teaching a choked line David.
Was never a fan of the rope guide on a straight stick like .. you need a stub and I hate stubs , choke it tight and it won’t retrieve loose and it slips until it’s tight and won’t retrieve... I left my rope guide in a tree I decked out with targets for my ex to practise on over a year ago and have not gone back for it! I would SRT nearly all trees now.