First World Cup memory..

Mick Dempsey

It’s a football thread so don’t bother telling us how you hate football because it’s overpaid prima donnas etc. Yawn...

Anyway with our regular disappointment coming along shortly, I thought I’d share my first World Cup memory.

It was 1970, I was 6 and football mad, my parents got me out of bed to watch the quarter final against West Germany.

I struggle to remember the details of the match (although I know now of course) though I know I cried as much in disbelief as anything. 

What was your first realisation of the curse of being an England fan?

Edited by Mick Dempsey

Not an England fa, I think they suck!  Not a football fan either, much like a large percentage of tree surgeons in my experience, not really sure why this is?

But the world cup and the euros is one time I do sit down and spend some time with my boy as hes a massive football fan.  I like to place a load of bets just to make it interesting, and have already started putting them on.

My budget is £50 which I will use to make 50 individual 12 fold bets.  Had one come in on the euros last time, not a 12 fold unfortunately, but still won £2600 off a £1 bet.  A couple of the 12 folds i've already placed would net £2,000,000 if they came in...very unlikely, but it does make the competition much more interesting :)

• Like 3

First World Cup I remember fully was 98. Caught bits of 94 but wasn't too fussed really. Absolutely loved all of Euro 96 as well. Everything about it was class.

Not sure why tree climbers generally don't like football. One of the things that properly wind me up is absolute morons who post the sort of photos which make it appear that rugby players are real men who most definatley have never ever done anything morally questionable and all footballers are homosexuals who do nothing at all for anyone.

Did you know the Cryuff sponsorship story Mick?

Cryuff was sponsored by Puma and Holland by Adidas. Brothers owned the companies and disliked each other so because Pumas logo was 2 stripes down the sleeves compared to Adidas 3, Johan refused to play in the official kit unless he got a special one with a stripe removed.

Wouldn't happen nowadays mind 

• Thanks 1

Stopped watching years back just after Rooney was selected..   new if he was put in with the rest of the old guard he'd be just as useless as they were in time..    they needed a new crop with a brand new talisman..   none of em more scarred of winning than they were of losing..  

Previously to that I have a faint memory of Keegan playing, by the time Gascoin was in I was hooked, it went downhill when I began to understand the psychology of the game..   The Brazilians laughing at David Beckam as they went out at half time..he couldn't understand why they did that..   

round about that time I knew these players were just too thick to ever win anything...  dumb as rocks..

anyway gave up watching soon after, if you think I'm gonna get worked up only for that shower to disappoint one more time you can stuff it....

No, I wont be watching any of the games, I'm done with the game....    

Oh I was good player in my youth, I fancied myself as the new Frank Worthington..   good on the ball, good passer but to greedy for my own good..   when I had the ball I tended to keep it to show everyone how good I was..   got to were I was generally picked last in a lineup with my friends, the rotten bastards.. 

‘86 and finally some good memories!

It’s easy to forget just how deadly a striker this bloke was. Finally we had a player to scare the opposition. 

Diego Maradona scored what I consider to be the greatest goal ever.

England were out but at least we had a go!

Tune in tomorrow night for Italia 90 ?

4224A085-0563-44D1-8C0C-57BD60DA8D33.jpeg

• Like 1