Sealing a concrete pond

eggsarascal

I've got a job to look at, leaking concrete pond. The customer doesn't want a pond liner, I've no idea why. I could re-render it or use some sort of sealing compound, if I go down the sealant route what is the best product for the job?

I've seen something called G4 that seems to have some good reviews but I'd prefer a recommendation.

Anyone got any ideas?

19 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I've got a job to look at, leaking concrete pond. The customer doesn't want a pond liner, I've no idea why. I could re-render it or use some sort of sealing compound, if I go down the sealant route what is the best product for the job?

I've seen something called G4 that seems to have some good reviews but I'd prefer a recommendation.

Anyone got any ideas?

I've no idea but it looks like a polyurethane paint that cures with damp.

What would worry me is the concrete has cracked because of settlement so something that just covers a crack is likely to fail when it moves again. Butyl liner will sort that.

Have you considered cleaning it, painting on OPC and SBR neat then making a ferro-cement creed with chicken mesh?

8 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I've no idea but it looks like a polyurethane paint that cures with damp.

What would worry me is the concrete has cracked because of settlement so something that just covers a crack is likely to fail when it moves again. Butyl liner will sort that.

Have you considered cleaning it, painting on OPC and SBR neat then making a ferro-cement creed with chicken mesh?

Yes, a liner is the answer in my mind, but when I suggested that when she rang she'd pretty much ruled it out, I might be able to change her mind this afternoon. Butyl is expensive these days, I think EPDM, or Firmstone, which is similar to Butyl would be the way to go. Ferro-cement could be an idea although I've never done it before.

I'll see why she doesn't want a liner later. On one hand it was all about the fish and other aquatic life, on the other she said she would have the pond filled in if she can't stop it leaking!

I just love the public......

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, woody paul said:

You nearest company to talk to is Rockbond UK. At Newtons farm Wissington / Nayland do all sorts of concrete products.

29 minutes ago, woody paul said:

You nearest company to talk to is Rockbond UK. At Newtons farm Wissington / Nayland do all sorts of concrete products.

Top man. I've just spoken to them, they do a product called RBUWM, it's a under water mortar that sounds just right for the job. The lady on the phone didn't know the tech data on the stuff but is going to get someone to call me back.

Ta.

Anyone got any ideas?

Lead tape with bitumen backing (it’s actually for roofing) is about the best thing you will find for this. Forget the sealants out of tubes they’re rubbish as the weight and pressure of the water forces it’s way through, whereas the pressure of the water actually helps the tape seal across the joints.
We did an antique fountain and pond about 20 years ago and it is still holds today. [emoji106]