Check a trade

TheHungrySquirrel

Just one thing to add. Checkatrade is kinda BS but it's not meaningless. 

It's BS cos my competitors sometimes have better over all score than me but they are getting like 10 reviews a year. If you hand pick your reviews from the little old lady who was just happy to have a chat then it's easy to get straight 10's. If you are getting 50 a year you aren't hand picking them. My score is genuine. I get a review a week and everyone is asked to leave one.

The reason it's not meaningless is that if you do a crap job and the customer knows you're on CAT, then they can review you. Often they wont bother but some, like me, will do if they feel slighted. I say fair play to them. If you're getting 50 reviews a year and not getting a bad one it DOES indicate the it's highly like you don't regularly do crap work. 

WRONG!!

I had 2 lunatics try to bend me over for reviews and I was told verbatim by checkatrade if the customer give you a zero because you left a packet of crisps on site then they have to allow the score. I got away with it cos the tenants were so happy with the job and heard my convo with the landlord (who said I made his pregnant wife cry - tenants and neighbour were stood next to me during the convo and were shocked at the accusation) that he said "screw it mate. I'll review you. He's a prick" and he saved my ass. 

It’s not wrong.

If a customer has poor service and writes a review which says they wouldn’t recommend the tradesman then Checkatrade won’t allow them to post the review on line.

Instead they have to submit it in writing to Checkatrade, who then give the tradesman a few weeks to try to deal with it (ie put things right, or just buy the customer off). After that time if it’s not settled they will publish the review, but may edit it if they choose to. And then the tradesman gets the last word (ie replies that the customer is making it all up).

It’s a bullshit system designed to favour the advertisers as that’s where Checkatrade’s money comes from.

If it was straight then a bad review would be as easy to leave as a good one.

I get what you're saying but I'm telling you I have looked at tons of other peoples reviews and there are some damn good companies out there with 1 or 2 scathing reviews where for example. 200 reviews, all good, 1 where customer complained that they didn't grind a stump out. Response was we are upset that checkatrade allowed this review as we simply couldn't access area with stump grinder. Took the price off the job and apologised. Tried to cut stumps as low as possible with chainsaws and ruined chains. Customer was very upset as they wished to put a shed base there. We are very sorry but we simply could not carry out the stump grinding --- marks 0,0,0,0 

Tell me that doesn't sound like a legit situation that could not be remedied. That one zero knocks them a point down on the first decimal place. And with all the BSers on checkatrade who hand pick who they're given report cards to that's a big hit. 

Interesting thread, glad I’m not a part of it.

I can see it now.

“The boss of the firm openly laughed at my suggestions at how I wanted my tree to be pruned”

”His Fox Terrier chased my cat up a tree”

”He said the quality of my tea would count against me on trip advisor” (I have actually said this)

”when I said I loved trees and hated to cut them down he said he was independently wealthy and continued to work because he hated trees so much” (used that one as well)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

”when I said I loved trees and hated to cut them down he said he was independently wealthy and continued to work because he hated trees so much” (used that one as well)

One of my favourites too.

On 11/06/2018 at 20:08, Mick Dempsey said:

Felling trees in Hebden Bridge one day and an irate 'lady' (might have been a bloke in drag, HB is like that) said to my boss that she didn't know how we slept at night!

He replied "We don't do this all the time you know. We go seal clubbing during the winter instead"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, Gary Prentice said:

Felling trees in Hebden Bridge one day and an irate 'lady' (might have been a bloke in drag, HB is like that) said to my boss that she didn't know how we slept at night!

He replied "We don't do this all the time you know. We go seal clubbing during the winter instead"

Or he could have answered

”like a baby on a bed stuffed with £50 notes”

When I’m feeling a bit whimsical if I hear the old “I love trees and hate to cut them down” stuff I say “I know every night my pillow is soaked with my tears”

• Like 2
  • Haha 2