Timber trailers.... what to consider when purchasing?

swinny

Looking at getting a timber trailer soon.

Trying to think of as many things as I can with regards to needs etc....

This is to be used behind a 100hp 4wd tractor.

I want something small enough for access but a decent enough crane....

or would I regret the smaller trailer 8t vs 11t? 

Also most have the 12.5 15.3 tyres on the normal agg ones.... is it better to go for the bigger floatation ones?

Would it be wise to go for a de mount one to go on 3pl aswell?

May be upgrading to a larger 130+ hp tractor soon..... 

The thing is I dont want to end up with a huge setup you struggle to get in places.

Current tractor has 65lpm hyd flow so weather this is ok or go down pto route?

Whats the rough unlaiden weight of the 8t and 11t trailers?

Also must be braked aswell!

Any advice? 

Many thanks

Edited by swinny

A hydraulic drawbar is a huge help, being able to slew it round tight corners is a big advantage. Personally I would want 4 wheel breaking if you're on hills. 

Whatever size you get, realistically you'll only get half the rated weight of wood on with most logs and when looking at cranes bear in mind that the lifting capacity is usually measured close in where you won't normally be working. 

This was only 8.5ton of timber on a 11 ton trailer DSC_1986.jpeg
So as said your unlikely to ever overload it.

Not many have 4 wheel braking as standard and we had to specify it on this trailer.
Something to consider is what you think you'll be shifting and from where, are you doing forestry and shift small thinnings or arb and handling ugly hardwood

Really like these units for ugly hardwood
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132648402660

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153008120972

A timber trailer will always be a compromise on something.  You really want a steering draw bar not only good for getting around tight drives and in to narrow bits of woods.  You can also use it in place of the legs but you have to be good and the bits not too big.

100hp tractor will do an 11t trailer but you will feel it on the road. Plus side is that it will go anywhere and be productive.  8t i;ve found often get overloaded or have extension pins on just to get more out,  but they work really well in small woods.

What ever you get the longest crane you can afford. 7m tends to be the cross over point between really high lift capacity and reach.

65lpm on the spools would be ok but you will miss the pump.  Just make sure you have a free flow return so you can dump the oil back to the tank rather than shoving it back through a spool.  As for 3pl mount cranes never used one but i have hurd they rock around a bit and are tough on the check chains.  Advantage is you can put it on the winch and chipper for added productivity.  But then why not just JAKE mount your Scandinavian crane.

Botex 570TL on a eurotrailer or a Farma 10t G2 if that takes your fancy more.