Good tipper to start off with?

beardedone

Ive ran allsorts.

Had an ldv convoy tipper and was a great motor.

Had a crew cab iveco with 2.8ltr engine that was really heavy when empty and wouldnt pull skin off a rice pudding!

Ran a 56plate transit for the last 4.5 years and it was one hell of a works motor!

Recently changed and bought a 66 plate Renault master tipper. Great truck. Amazing how better vehicles can be when a lot newer.

On paper the nissan is the one to get, short and narrow truck- great turning circle- strong engines. 

But 90 horse power is under powered, i actually went up a hill in first gear and it  died, it literally would not pull my chipper and half a load of cherry rings. 

Watch out for rusty cabs, not just the transit that suffers.

Uncomfortable cab definitely not suitable for three women let alone wide shouldered tree men. 

Parts are expensive and some are main dealer only.

So i changed to a transit that was 90hp, had no issues with pulling loaded. even had it loaded to the gunnels with oak rings and towing a chipper and it done it- slowly.

Plenty of second hand parts. Most parts are on the shelf and reasonably priced at the motor factors.

Nice driving position, handles well on the road.

Transit for me   

• Like 1

Like most of the above I’ve had both, transits for 20 odd years ( including 2 4x4 ones ) and I’ve always had a soft spot for em in spite o rust problems. Now hav 2 cabstars and apart from bein shit off hard surfaces they are great load carriers and towing, I regularly have 2 cube of logs on tipper n 3.5 on trailer. Sadly need to sell one but it not tipper but flatbed with 015 Hiab onIMG_1528922801.367005.jpg

As I recall the cabstar has the best payload. I like the look of the grafters too.

Ford tippers have poor payload. Especially with twin rear wheels. Had a crew cab one with a cage on. Something like 500kg legally in the back once I had tools in the crew cab. Probably zero payload with 3 fat lads in the front.