Good tipper to start off with?

beardedone

Hi all,

so I'm looking for a tipper and been looking at all the options, been told to stay away from the Ford transits due to rusting problems (I'm aware I might be being misinformed) 

Does anyone have any advice on things to look out for in tippers and what to stay away from? 

Looking at Nissan Cabstars 

Iveco Daily. 

Other than those two I'm not sure what else is a viable option really? 

Any advice is really appreciated 

Any tipper will have problems that go with it. Look and see what the majority of firms are using.

Transits are popular, reliable and cheap. They can make you a lot of money, although you might have to spend a bit on them occasionally. 

The company I started with some years ago still have an 03 transit going strong with 150k on it. 

• Like 1

i'm a fan of the japanese trucks but just be aware they are next to useless on anything other than roads.  If you have a muddy yard for example, or even just damp grass they will sit and spin on.

Transits are ok but ive never been keen.  Don't like the general feel of them.

If I were buying im not sure what I would go for to be honest, but would probably lean towards a cabstar.

I've had a Cabstar and Transits, I think Cabstars are better at carrying the weight but as Steve says do not go off solid ground in one, it WILL get stuck. For your job it would be a Transit every time. That said, if budget is tight I'd look at an LDV, never owned one but I used to feel sick when a gardener used to wizz past me when we were sharing a yard, he pulled my Cabstar out more times than I care to remember.

Just now, eggsarascal said:

I've had a Cabstar and Transits, I think Cabstars are better at carrying the weight but as Steve says do not go off solid ground in one, it WILL get stuck. For your job it would be a Transit every time. That said, if budget is tight I'd look at an LDV, never owned one but I used to feel sick when a gardener used to wizz past me when we were sharing a yard, he pulled my Cabstar out more times than I care to remember.

LDV's were basically transits anyway without the price tag.  funny how they had a reputation of being crap whilst everyone was happy to spend their hard earned on a ford.  I guess they didn't look too pretty..mine certainly earned its keep though

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

LDV's were basically transits anyway without the price tag.  funny how they had a reputation of being crap whilst everyone was happy to spend their hard earned on a ford.  I guess they didn't look too pretty..mine certainly earned its keep though

I had one as a estate truck on a Y plate. It weighed about the same as our 2004+ transit tippers at 2.1 tonnes but carried the load less well and was a bit underpowered. It meant it seldom was overloaded and was the most reliable until a new driver rear ended a car and it was written off.

From my workshop perspective transits may have rusted but that was cheaply repairable with on site labour. The spares were reasonable and the drive comfy. The 2.4 duratorq engine tended to need new fuel pumps around 120k miles.

OTOH the two Canters I sometimes drive carry the load well, such that they regularly go over 4 tonnes and no one notices, the chassis and tipper  frame on the 59 plate one are rusted badly and the tipper body will need replacing and they are uncomfortable, especially on poor roads. The spares are excruciatingly expensive and the 03 plate one with only 107k miles on the clock has just cost £1500 to have the fuel pump re calibrated.

Edited by openspaceman

hi had both transits and cabstars , present tipper is a 3ltr cabstar  2004  its been the longest i have had a truck for bought it in 2010 and been fantastic , plus points very manoverble in tight spaces , pulls like a train, not bad on fuel and its pulling a 10x5 ifor tipper, mechanics have been so reliable bad points not a truck to be driving for hours in gears a bit clunky but there on cables and its just starting to get a bit of rust on the cab but its not new .

20151005_181658.jpg

20160525_113109.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

think you might be slightly overloaded there ?

i was wondering that too (but i would have done the very same as i'm a criminal!) not sure what the towing limit is on those cabstars with single rear wheels,  but it's quite impressive i believe.  decent rig that.

dont get a LDV crap motors. 

had one for a few years.

Ford be aware that the gypsies all use them and chances are if it catches their eye it may disappear. I know from experience ? 

i got a vauxhall movano which is basically a renualt which has been good for the last 6 yrs, only 1 fault in all those years ( a valve blow out in the clutch pipe work) . I got a cracking deal on it too at the time.

Not as comfy as my transit ( though it has AC which can be a god send).

If new i may look at the next Iveco next in auto. 

All depends on budget.

I was toying with a little peugeot partner tipper as a pricing/ back up truck. apparently good for 600-800 kg payload (depending on model). But dont know anything about them. 

Anyone had one?

• Like 1