Crown reduction article - Your thoughts?

Steve Bullman

Shigo comes along and we all change practice: Mattheck comes along and we change a little: someone else puts in their penn'orth and we take another look.

Move along another 100 years (assuming we're still here) and we've changed again.  The truth is we'll never fully understand.  The tree will reduce itself if it needs to so best not to go sit under one :-)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Graham said:

The truth is we'll never fully understand.

We can put a man on the moon, supposedly, but there is an awful lot about the natural world that we don't yet, and maybe never will, completely understand.

"The tree will reduce itself if it needs to" - being pedantic, a tree will fail if external forces exceed its structural strength. Although there is some thought that shedding parts to prevent the loss of the whole in extreme weather may be an inherited survival mechanism/evolutionary trait.

Edited by Gary Prentice
  • Like 1

I'd love to see the wind machine to test this theory on a mature beech tree.

To be honest I think this makes sense but as others have said the theory is based on a young tree which needs the trunk to be supple. If I saw a trunk bending like that on a 200 year old tree I'd be running away.

The only thing I will say that I find is early mentioned to customers i fear is that once you reduce that tree you will have it coming back denser and with more sail effect in 2-6 years time then you will be reducing it again.

Sorry if I have missed the point I have only just scanned the article but will look at in in the week when I have a bit more time, I am quite interested.

Definately against the crap reductions I often see. Time pressures and ignorance produce them. Looking at the AA article on pollen reduction in cities was enlightening. So sometimes bash the big buggers out has its merits , K

On 09/06/2018 at 07:49, Gary Prentice said:

You could always ask!  I'll hide behind you, while you tell him that Frank Rinn say he's wrong! :D

....I WOULD have , Gary , but as you may have noticed - He does carry a big stick ! K

( ...and knows how to use it :P )