A Tail of Two–MS200T–Top Handles & Compression Tests

arborlicious

I can't wait, it is a bit of a cliff hanger, feeling a bit light headed at the thought of this saw actually running. I may have to book a flight to Oz to be closer to the occasion.

Good luck with it, I guess you will get something out of the work done and hope it all works out in the end.

On 23/07/2018 at 05:19, spudulike said:

I can't wait, it is a bit of a cliff hanger, feeling a bit light headed at the thought of this saw actually running. I may have to book a flight to Oz to be closer to the occasion.

Good luck with it, I guess you will get something out of the work done and hope it all works out in the end.

I'll sign you up for "Spuds Down Under Porting and Tuning Workshop"

• Like 1

On 22/07/2018 at 06:15, spudulike said:

"rough"....that's about right, did you mean thorough:001_rolleyes:

The "rough" part might be justified now....

You made me rush to get this saw ready for Spring! Took the cylinder off to delete the base gasket. Used some Permatex Ultra Copper in place of the gasket. Let it sit for an hour before torquing the cylinder bolts to 10Nm.

Performed the vacuum and pressure tests again to make sure the seal was good - success. As an aside I learnt that using a finger–not a sausage finger–in the intake boot/manifold works for the vac/pressure tests.

Next step, install flywheel and ignition coil. I only removed the later for cleaning. Adjusted ignition module gap using feeler gauge 0.2mm and a bit of card.

Now for the exhaust and disaster strikes. I'm doing up the exhaust bolts –they've never felt 'right' but I thought it was due to the retaining compound used during manufacture–and one of them suddenly gets loosey goosey and won't tighten at all. Damn it. I've stripped the thread! 

Time for helicoil M5 x 0.8mm - living in a small town on Sunday that'll have to wait until tomorrow.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spudulike said:

I am liking the way you are dragging a four hour job out for four months. Dont you hold M5 helicoils in your box of bits????

Just be glad the crank seals didn't need replacing or it would take 12-18 months and I'd have to release this discourse as a chapter book.

No need for climbing saw on this job...

Edited by arborlicious
youtube not linked