Trailer weight

dumper

7 minutes ago, dent said:

Yes but each vehicle and trailer has to be registered onto the o licence 

When you get your o licence it will say what you are entitled to run it will all be linked in to the size of your premises and you can have trucks removed as a punishment by the traffic commissioner 

An lgv trailer has its own registration and would be listed / identified via that registration. A trailer in class O2 does not have an individual registration. You might have a trailer listed on your O licence (not my area of experience) but not individually listed.

seems to be alot of different opinions on this subject, how ever i think i will just carry on as i am untill i am told other wise, but the original question was does any one know the permisible weight of a trailer before it needs testing/ plating, 

1 hour ago, spuddog0507 said:

seems to be alot of different opinions on this subject, how ever i think i will just carry on as i am untill i am told other wise, but the original question was does any one know the permisible weight of a trailer before it needs testing/ plating, 

There are two criteria that will bring a trailer into the scope of plating. Firstly is the braking system, if its fitted with a coupled braking system it will need to be plated and if the unladen weight exceeds 1020 KG. So anything without overrun brakes over the 3500kg . I suppose in theory some of the bigger chippers should really be tested.

Bob

Edit : The blurb 

Vehicles that must take the 'annual test'

The annual test is for:

• goods vehicles with a gross weight of more than 3,500 kilograms (kg)
  • vehicles that are built or have been adapted to form part of an articulated vehicle
  • semi-trailers
  • horseboxes with a gross weight of more than 3,500kg
  • ‘A’ frame trailers and converter dollies manufactured on or after 1 January 1979
  • trailers with an unladen weight of more than 1,020kg with powered braking systems (instead of standard overrun brakes and as well as the required parking brake)
  • all public service vehicles with more than 8 passenger seats - not including the driver’s seat
Edited by aspenarb

22 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

There are two criteria that will bring a trailer into the scope of plating. Firstly is the braking system, if its fitted with a coupled braking system it will need to be plated and if the unladen weight exceeds 1020 KG.

It could of course be fitted with "coupled" brakes and still be under 1020kg unladen and hence not need plating, the unladen weight over 1020kg AND power braking is the special case.

22 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

So anything without overrun brakes over the 3500kg .

Of course anything over 3500kg cannot be used with overrun brakes, so it's anything with a MAM of greater than 3500kg needs plating.

Big chippers on overrun brakes will be exempt as under 3500kg anything bigger tends to come under agricultural machine.

I may be a little out of date having lost my job nearly 2 years ago but I still occasionally get calls from people at the old firm, one of which recently was about towing a trailer with overrun brakes behind a six wheeler, it only required an inspection for the trailer hitch and the extra train weight.

9 hours ago, openspaceman said:

It could of course be fitted with "coupled" brakes and still be under 1020kg unladen and hence not need plating, the unladen weight over 1020kg AND power braking is the special case.

Big chippers on overrun brakes will be exempt as under 3500kg anything bigger tends to come under agricultural machine.

I suppose with the new MOT`s on 40kph + tractors for non ag use all the trailers towed by them without over run brakes will need to be tested as well. Its either overrun and no test or its a tested trailer with nothing in-between. I am also wondering how they go about the euro/yank system of electric brakes, that could be deemed "power brakes" They are on the imported  yank Morbark chippers as well  so they may need testing if used behind a truck.

Bob

37 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

I suppose with the new MOT`s on 40kph + tractors for non ag use all the trailers towed by them without over run brakes will need to be tested as well.

I've not been involved with any high speed tractors so don't know but most arb use comes under horticulture doesn't it? If so presumably this is in the agricultural and forestry exemption?

Its either overrun and no test or its a tested trailer with nothing in-between.

Again with the exception of a trailer with unladen weight under 1020kg and powered brakes which needs no test. I am not a fan of overrun brakes where the gross weight of the trailer exceeds that of the tow vehicle so it's an interesting idea to me.

I am also wondering how they go about the euro/yank system of electric brakes, that could be deemed "power brakes" They are on the imported  yank Morbark chippers as well  so they may need testing if used behind a truck.

Its only of academic interest to me now but when I was looking at the dutch 5th wheel trailers they had electric brakes and yes I would consider them to be powered.