Am I the only driver who thought vans could do 70?

Squaredy

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

Only recently discovered about the lower speed limits and amazed as there is almost no evidence of lower speed limits being adhered to or even close to. Loads of panel vans are doing 80 on duals. 

I just came home on the bike up the A303 at an indicated 73 (optimistic Honda speedo as I was following some lorries which were probably doing 56 and it showed 60) and was passed by several commercials.

• Like 1

Out of curiousity, do folk here use their vehicle speedo or sat nav speedo for the basis of their driving? I've had sat nav in my trucks for the last few years, and with my excessive height, actually struggle to see the analogue dial on my old van. As such, I always use the digital speedo, and it seems to keep me at the same speed as the lorries through speed limits. Why are vehicle speedos always so far out?

1 hour ago, Big J said:

Out of curiousity, do folk here use their vehicle speedo or sat nav speedo for the basis of their driving? I've had sat nav in my trucks for the last few years, and with my excessive height, actually struggle to see the analogue dial on my old van. As such, I always use the digital speedo, and it seems to keep me at the same speed as the lorries through speed limits. Why are vehicle speedos always so far out?

I personally use the speedo.  I don't often use satnav. 

You should try a double cab truck and remove the front seat and sit in the back seat Jonathon...

• Haha 1

But are sat navs accurate, I,m not saying there not. But that’s one of the reasons behind the 10% +2 mph thing as everybody is using analog speedos..which can be out by a bit legally,

years ago I got caught out driving a 4x4 with bigger wheels, I thought I was doing 34 when I was clocked at 37, 

18 minutes ago, Wonky said:

But are sat navs accurate, I,m not saying there not.

They are accurate as the velocity  is calculated directly but not necessarilly precise  because of the geoid  that is programmed in  doesn't exactly match the hills and bumps you are travelling along. I reckon +- 2mph on mine on a flat straight.

But that’s one of the reasons behind the 10% +2 mph thing as everybody is using analog speedos..which can be out by a bit legally,

No thtat's just to give the police a good margin for the court to accept and it's discretionary, I'll bet it is tighter on average speed cameras.

The regulations allow a speedo to over read by 10% and under read by 0% so when my fiesta is showing 80mph the sat nav averages out at 73. Which makes it only just inside the regulatory requirement. Lorry tachographs seem much better.

RDS (who supply the engine management and stress controls for some chippers) used to sell a radar that read the speed from reflections from the road surface which was spot on.

years ago I got caught out driving a 4x4 with bigger wheels, I thought I was doing 34 when I was clocked at 37, 

Same was true when I had 7.50 x 16s on my LR 88.

14 hours ago, twistedhicap said:

Mobile camera van !

Those and most of the yellow Specs or Vector cameras are linked via ANPR to the DVLA and can automatically tell the type and class of vehicle therefore they can apply the appropriate speed limit instantly!

In that case why would it not have mattered if you were doing more than 50 but less than 60?

53 minutes ago, twistedhicap said:

Due to the ACPO guidelines of 10% +2

As you have mentioned above !

but you were doing more than +10%+2 at sixty as you should only have been doing 50+10%+2=57 to get away with it.

What I'm trying to establish (in general not just your case) is do they only nab someone for doing over 60 and then check if it's a commercial and thus impose penalty for that infringement.

If it's a policeman holding a radar speed gun I can understand him making the decision on the spot, or if a police car has followed you for 220yds and decided you were speeding (in my youth I passed a stationary police car on the M4 doing 106mph and he pulled out to chase me, I soon saw him and slowed down and was pulled over, I got a dressing down but they couldn't prosecute , no on the spot fines then, as they had not followed me speeding for the full 220 yds required then, licence remained clean for another 30 years before I triggered a 50mph camera at some roadworks) but  the concern is how "intelligent" mobile and static cameras were.

With today’s technology I believe the camera equipment will read every numberplate and the laser the speed of each then runs the number through a database which will determine the class of vehicle and then cross reference to the recorded speed then wallop your done if your speeding !

It’s simple algorithms I’m guessing and a shed load of data !

• Like 2