550xp wont start

elfie

Just bought a new Husqvarna 550xp.  The first time I used it for 30 mins and It worked fine.  Turned it off, topped it up with fuel then went to start it again after 20 minutes and it wouldn't start.  It would run for 1 - 3 seconds after priming then die.   Its going back to the shop but any ideas or has anyone else had the same experience ?

I've been running 550xp for almost 4 years and no issues or problems other than this.

The shop have said it is the autotune chip which requires to have the latest software installed.  Don't quite understand why this should be the case....husqvarna selling saws which don't operate on the original software !    Will let you know how it goes when I get the saw back. 

Well that smells of BS to me. I love the way some hide behind the technology like it has some sort of magical ability that mere mortals just can't understand or comprehend. 

About all they can do is apply the latest firmware, it will run on all previous firmware if matched with the auto tune/coil correctly. They can reset the saw back to default if major work has been done on the saw, view fault codes or do some very basic tests and that is about it. The actual auto tune program or the saws OS can't be changed like the dealer is saying!

The basic spark, compression and fuel tests are still very valid, even on the latest machines!

The fact it will run for a few seconds after priming shows that the carb isn't able to pull the next charge of fuel in to the carb.

I would suspect that the metering arm is a little low, the needle valve is stuck or the diaphragm isn't able to exert the correct force on to the metering arm to allow fuel in to the metering part of the carb........ possibly the carb pump solenoid has failed and that is able to be easily tested!

• Like 2