Definition of a hedge..... when does it become a row of trees and no longer a hedge

swinny

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 21:11, swinny said:

A hedge... 

When does a hedge become a row of tree's? 

I'm talking with regards to working in conservation area's etc.

We do work in one area where the council is a real pain! As far as i'm concerned if its a hedge we shouldn't need to give notification and wait 6-8 weeks for them to mess me and the clients about! If its small scale hedges etc I'm ok we just crack on.... Just when they start getting larger you start to wonder if there is a cross over hedge to row of tree's.

Just to point out that we are fine with regards to this with other councils and areas and don't have to notify.... Its just this one council in particular that are painful to deal with and would most likely ask for notification of intent of works!  

I also have a large row of tree's / hedge / screen  (conifers) within a con area, tucked away from road etc..... approx 60' tall require reducing down to approx 40' as far as i'm concerned I'd class this as a lapsed hedge.... T.O has said that the reducing of them would be fine..... Still I don't think we need to notify them.....

I haven't spoken to the T.O just customers. T.O doesn't seem to like to answer the phone to contractors!

Whats your thoughts? When is a hedge a hedge or when is it a row of tree's?

Hi Gary

The guidance says 'trees in a hedge or an old hedge which has become a line of trees of a reasonable height'. 

A 60' hedge would fit into the second part of that paragraph I would say.  Trees within a hedge I would take as say a maintained  hedge at 2 or 3m with individual trees sticking out of the top.  That is my personal opinion but I would always run it by the TO as its the safest approach.

Cheers

On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 08:51, MattyF said:

Trimming is exempt I’m sure as it’s ongoing maintenance..I’ve been told first hand by two Tree officers although that may have been please don’t waste our time with such trivial applications ! Topping isn’t though.

Maintenance is definitely not exempt mate, check the regs and you will see.  I know some TOs don't ask for apps to clean epi but I would always get this in writing by email.  If it goes pear shaped and fingers start point in his or her direction then there is no guarantee that they wont just cover themselves.  I think you are right though, it was probably just 'don't bother us with that nonsense'. 

Cheers

On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 09:20, Gary Prentice said:

I'm not saying that you are wrong Matty (and some TOs are the last people to talk to about the finer points of legislation), but I don't know where in the T&CPA it says that maintenance is exempt. 

And what is topping? Taking ten feet of growth off, or a foot of new growth thats grown since last years cut? Where do you draw the line?

I hope that I'm not coming across as argumentative or pedantic, not my intent, but the interpretation of the legislation seems pretty diverse.

I've recently had to apply (TPO) to remove epicormics and basal shoots. The LA wouldn't allow an 'ongoing' consent in case the owner took liberties or did it wrong - even though I'd written a guide for the owner (how/where to prune/limitations to size of wound, what to cut with  - an idiots guide to epicormics) and included it in the application.

Did you go to appeal?  I see repeat works for epicormics as totally reasonable.  They cut take liberties with a single cut so that argument would not stack up would it.  It would be a contravention surely. 

When I am doing my TO bit I allow repeat works for epicormic all the time, I actually encourage it.  Saves everyone time. 

10 minutes ago, Chris at eden said:

Hi Gary

The guidance says 'trees in a hedge or an old hedge which has become a line of trees of a reasonable height'. 

A 60' hedge would fit into the second part of that paragraph I would say.  Trees within a hedge I would take as say a maintained  hedge at 2 or 3m with individual trees sticking out of the top.  That is my personal opinion but I would always run it by the TO as its the safest approach.

Cheers

Trees or hedge Chris:D:D

And I certainly agree with the bit in bold.  Take a photo on site, mark a reduction level on the picture and email it to the TO. Five minutes while on site and you should a response in writing should you later need to defend your actions.

download.jpg

2 minutes ago, Chris at eden said:

Did you go to appeal?  I see repeat works for epicormics as totally reasonable.  They cut take liberties with a single cut so that argument would not stack up would it.  It would be a contravention surely. 

When I am doing my TO bit I allow repeat works for epicormic all the time, I actually encourage it.  Saves everyone time. 

No, I didn't bother. The real reason asking for repeat works was to offload the job. Its a tree in a garden belonging to a HA about 15 mile away. If I can't fit it in with another job in the area it probably costs us money to do it. 

The repeat part of the application wasn't refused per se, just ignored with the standard condition response of two years. I thought that if the tenant could do it himself it would be better for everyone, but there was concern raised in a telephone conversation with the planning officer that contraventions could ensue if the job wasn't done 'professionally'.

I can see their point, in that if they open the door like that, then if someone went over the top everything would get very involved, so I think that they just nipped it in the bud. They're usually good with me, it's no real big deal to get excited about so I'm not rocking the boat on this occasion.

You keeping busy Chris? Onward and upward? :thumbup:

• 3 months later...