New to trees, but not to rope work... getting started

Mesuno

Hi Folks,

We have fairly frequent need to do heavy pruning in our own trees at home (6 acres ish, with lots of trees!) I've been doing a lot of the work myself from ground level for years, but have been continually frustrated by not being able to actually get up into the trees themselves - and forking out over and over for someone to come in and do it for us is getting expensive. Plus, climbing stuff is fun, and I could do with some recreational stuff at home to give me a workout! I have past experience of caving using SRT and have a bunch of my (old!) caving kit which has seen light use, but is a good few years old. I'm confident hanging in harnesses, and a lot of the rope work I did previously seems similar to tree work (use of multiple lanyards, friction hitches, ascenders etc...).

Below is an outline of what I have done so far, and my various observations. Any thoughts/comments very welcome.

So far:

I have bought 45m of Gecko 2 ( I have since seen reviews suggesting it is not the best but seems fine for me so far)

I have ditched all my old rope

I have had a couple of sessions climbing, working low and slow - just getting used to the kit, and various hitches again. I don't intend to climb with anything saw related for quite a while, until I'm totally confident.

This weekend I did what I consider my first "proper" climb using DRT, getting about 10m up, then descending on the Blake's Hitch. It felt surprisingly secure all things considered. The most unnerving part was getting past my first tie in point, as I had to get above it to secure my second line. Overall it was a very enjoyable experience, and I learned a lot about the techniques, and limitations of my gear:

• I think I need a harness upgrade. My old caving harness is in good condition, and fairly comfortable being designed for SRT work, but it only has a single loop at the front to clip to. I can't really carry any extra stuff with me, as I have nowhere to clip it.
  • I found the various lines, knots, carabiners etc... were all really congested running from the single front D. I need to come up with an improved configuration there as I was having to fight my various lines to clip and unclip things. It wasn't smooth or easy at all. I have seen various videos and comments that suggest that splicing eyes on lanyards lowers the profile/bulk where it meets the carabiner/harness. Is this the way to go? Any other suggestions?
  • I have mechanical ascenders (gri-gris) but haven't used them, and probably won't as I can't descend on them without carrying more gear. The Blake's hitch and lanyard seem to be working well so far.
  • How long does it take for your hands to toughen up to working with ropes? My first attempt at a DRT ascent gave me evil blisters. Serves me right for working at a desk, I guess.

Next steps:

• More practice, in a variety of trees, with a mix of climbing and DRT rope ascents.
  • Practice with the throwline/cambium saver
  • Practice generally moving around trees, out on to limbs etc...
  • Experiment with different rigging configurations to try and ease the congestion/bulk problems.
  • Look into a new harness - is there somewhere I can try on work-positioning harnesses, rather than just purchase from a picture online?

If you have any comments on the above I'd welcome them.

Thanks

Mike

No side Ds on my current one, unfortunately. I'm based in Kent, but could travel a little when the summer holidays come around, to get to the right place.

Do side Ds tend to be load rated, or are they just an extra loop for stashing gear while you climb? I've never used a harness with one before.

On top of what Steve's said, you could see if anyone local goes rec climbing.  It's always good to pick up tips from other climbers.

Sounds like you're on the right track.  Have a look for 'The Tree Climbers Companion' by Jeff Jepson.  There are PDFs knocking about, but it's worth having the real thing as a reference. 

Could be worth doing aerial rescue and tree climbing ticket to give you some consolidated and well structured learning and support.....the climbing is just the half of it as once you take a chainsaw up in the tree your risks will largely increase so proper knowledge of cutting techniques and work positioning is of paramount importance....again I would advise investing some money into proper training.....Best to be safe!

Why not wear some thin gloves to climb with, pfanner do a thin pair for a few pounds a pair that dont seem to impair dexterity too much

Sounds like a RAD srt set up would be worth looking at with what you have, and your caving background, other than gri gris are now frowned upon commercially, and won't like your gecko line. I started srt on 11mm caving line and a gri-gri, and other than for long free hanging ascents will likely be fine for your type of use.

http://vtio.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Single-Rope-Technique-i.pdf

Edited by Andrew McEwan
link

Could be worth doing aerial rescue and tree climbing ticket to give you some consolidated and well structured learning and support.....the climbing is just the half of it as once you take a chainsaw up in the tree your risks will largely increase so proper knowledge of cutting techniques and work positioning is of paramount importance....again I would advise investing some money into proper training.....Best to be safe!

Why not wear some thin gloves to climb with, pfanner do a thin pair for a few pounds a pair that dont seem to impair dexterity too much

Thanks for all the comments folks, they have been super helpful.

• I have now downloaded and read the Tree Climbers Companion. Great material in there, lots of very useful practical stuff.
  • Thanks for the tip of the arborist supply shop. I can see a trip in my near future.
  • Gloves - I ended up using some cheap gardening gloves which helped somewhat. But they were a little chewed up by then end. I guess ropework is as hard on gloves is it is on hands! Do you treat gloves as (semi)disposable?
  • Re: training and getting tickets for stuff - yes, I am definitely considering that. However, it is months before I will get a chance (children, work, family holidays etc...) and I'd like to do what I can between now and then.
  • I had a look at the RAD setup - not for me yet I think, at least not without someone to talk me through the process. I've been happy with the DRT /Blakes hitch setup, so I'll park my mechanical gear for the present.

Regarding lanyards and things: Is it standard practice to use knots, or do people tend to use spliced lines? From my little bit of practicing so far I can see the appeal of spliced loops, but from my reading I understand that it is frowned on in the UK in professional arborist circles? The Gecko 2 cam with a rather ugly and chunky sewn eye from the manufacture (not spliced. In making lanyards I cut the rope, and am using the manufacturers eyes - one to attach the climbing line, and the other on a Blake's hitch lanyard. I'm not that keen, because of how bulky they are, but that might be solved by using a harness with secondary Ds?