Safest? Way to load a 6T dumper with logs

drinksloe

Alright

Just wondering how u all load ur dumpers or dump trailers with logs?

Unfortunately not got a log grab/grapple, so was either rope of chains ont a shakle on the boom.

I started off attempting to try a Highway mans hitch knot, idea being i could pull the other end and knot would come lose.

It sort of worked a few times but other times just puling loose when i started lifting (logs would be roughly 2ft ish dia x 2-3+m)

But sometimes other end was getting tanf=gled up or just not pulling loose.

Ended up just going back to slings and/or chains which meant jumping into skip every time

Is there a better way/knot to get logs in without jumping into the dumpers skip every time to untie/unchain.

Must admit i wasn't overly happy getting into the skip if a log decided to move and trap a foot or something

I might look at getting a set of log tongs althou to be honest its not that often i lift logs that size into dumper

There was a video on facebook of a digger loading logs into a container 

He was parked with the logs facing straight out infront of the digger a chain loop hung from the bucket linkage this was put under the log about 2ft from the end of the log 

As the bucket uncurled the cantilever efect allowed him to pick the log up you can then put the log on the skip that is tipped up slightly curl the bucket up the chain will become loose 

Cheers folks, i should say just a job for myyself so no workers H&S involved.

I would og grudged the hire of a avant for the day/wknd plus the fact nowhere near me to hire them.

Also the way the job was the ground was very soft with a steep 4-6ft banking down to the logs, so nothing could really travel on the ground near the logs and most loaders would of struggled to get under the logs with forks dur to the banking.

Dent that sounds quite clever, i can almost pcture it in my head might have a google later for it.

Not got much more to lift from there but that could be the way to do it, less in/out cab too.

Pete wots a clutch (with reference to choke chains)?

Was thinking about a thumb, thats the problem with larger machines they get quite dear thou and just don't know how often i'd really use it.

I'm bit ruff and ready with the welder (not so good with hydralics thou) but theres a couple of decent welders/engineers near me so might ask them for a rough price.

In fact that might not be a bad shout, been enquiring about changing the tracks from rubber to steel, seemingly the idler wheel might need the centre flange ground down so might be worth moving it to their yard to do both jobs

In chain terms, a clutch is the little dangly thing that you use to drop a chain link into, it clutches the chain and holds it - a way of shortening the chain length to something more useful.

Cheers

I've always called them 'dogs' before, rightly or wrongly?? Mibee a local thing.

But u stil need to get into the trailer to release the chains, ithought it might be some sort of quick release choker thing.

So i take it there is no knot, basically a glorified slip knot that would hold a load on 1 side but pull the other and the knot releases

Edited by drinksloe

No but another option would be tilt dumper forwards 

Get a very long chain attatch one end to bucket long gap wrapp it round log 3 times then the other end attached to the bucket again 

Lift log in then bring bucket close enough to reach from floor then pull the chain log will roll and chain will come out 

When loading you would have to think which way you wrapp chain so the log rolls in the right direction