Whats the going rate for native charcoal?

Woodworks

Any local farm shop type place that could stock it, but I suppose they would want a %.

The local farm shop has fruit & veg at a crazy prices & its not organic & much is bought in (labeling isn't clear but the  they have obvious out of season stuff) but as its a "farm shop" opposed to lidl people seem ok paying alot more.

They even have  bananas in stock.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, richardwale said:

Seems like a lot of work for very little return Beau. Splitting the wood, loading the retort, emptying, bagging, delivering etc all for a pound or so profit.

Oh yes it is but I treat it as a weekend hobby. Fancied making some today but run out of storage haha

To be fair it's not too bad at current rates if I am using what would have been waste wood ie skinny sticks too small for logs. Converting perfectly good dry logs would make the equation far worse.

Edited by Woodworks

Theres no fairtrade label for charcoal or eqivalent?, so its cheap in supermarket I suppose as probably  imported  from places with cheap labour zero enviro regs (deforestation etc) etc, hard to compete against that.

It even funds terrorism:

https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/Comment/2018/3/5/UAE-still-supports-al-Shabaab-through-Somalias-illicit-charcoal-trade

Only way is  target market @ people who care about enviro wanna buy british etc.

I bought some local  direct 2.5kg for £5.

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, richardwale said:

Seems like a lot of work for very little return Beau. Splitting the wood, loading the retort, emptying, bagging, delivering etc all for a pound or so profit.

Twas ever thus, even with the B&Q scheme  B&Q took half IIRC and  70p of the rest for administration and bag hwent to the commercial arm of the charity running the scheme

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Oh yes it is but I treat it as a weekend hobby. Fancied making some today but run out of storage haha

To be fair it's not too bad at current rates if I am using what would have been waste wood ie skinny sticks too small for logs. Converting perfectly good dry logs would make the equation far worse.

I know exactly what  you mean. It’s almost a bit of fun  and if you can make a few quid then great. I’d stick to high prices and go with the quality home produced theme. 

Bet it makes a lovely charcoal for meat smokers.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, richardwale said:

I know exactly what  you mean. It’s almost a bit of fun  and if you can make a few quid then great. I’d stick to high prices and go with the quality home produced theme. 

Bet it makes a lovely charcoal for meat smokers.

Yes wasn't really planning to drop the prices but just trying to gauge if we were expensive in comparison with others. Must sort out some home brand bags as I am sure that might help instead of the generic coppice association ones. Last batch are not as well made as we have had before.