An interesting trailer

aspenarb

5 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

I discovered this guy Mathew Cremona a while ago, If you like the log arch you'l also like the very large band saw mill he built from scratch, check him out on youtube.

It was while looking at his bandsaw that I spotted the trailer . I am looking at knocking up a decent sized sawmill for the bigger sticks , have just got rid of the woodmizer because most of the wood we get is way to big and have to knock it down first with an alaskan which is a total ballache.

Bob

37 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

It was while looking at his bandsaw that I spotted the trailer . I am looking at knocking up a decent sized sawmill for the bigger sticks , have just got rid of the woodmizer because most of the wood we get is way to big and have to knock it down first with an alaskan which is a total ballache.

Bob

I've only got an Alaskan which I enjoy using, but I know what you mean.... a pal of mine has a band mill and has built a similar log arch  but uses the winch on the front of his jeep to pull the logs onto the trailer, for this to work he welded a tow hitch to the front of the vehicle, it works really well, cheers.    

• Like 1

Ive been watching his vids for a while. That log arch is built like a battle ship. They pay buttons for steel overthere its shocking, no wonder everything is massive.

Worth noting is that he started welding when he built that trailer, learnt on the job.

On 02/06/2018 at 19:55, Vespasian said:

I'm halfway into building my trailer for my little chipper, it has a lifting point on the chipper and I suppose I could fabricate a device like that to lift it into place...   if theres one thing I can't stand about these so called wee chippers its getting them on and off trailers or into the back of a van...

The only downside is you might look a right prat driving around with a giant arch on the back of the trailer...

I'd be interested to see what you've come up with? cheers

in my pre loader days i built a trailer type log arch powered with a tirfor and multiple blocks to get advantage.It  has the cable running down both sides of the top beam so you wouldn't bend it.If the log was straightish the payload could be up to 3 ton

it was used principally to get large logs from the back yard to the front verge so we could get a crane truck to pick them up.

Was not road legal and was a bit of a pain to use but we did get a lot of unrecoverable logs out with it but it has now sat under a tree unused for years

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kimtree said:

in my pre loader days i built a trailer type log arch powered with a tirfor and multiple blocks to get advantage.It  has the cable running down both sides of the top beam so you wouldn't bend it.If the log was straightish the payload could be up to 3 ton

it was used principally to get large logs from the back yard to the front verge so we could get a crane truck to pick them up.

Was not road legal and was a bit of a pain to use but we did get a lot of unrecoverable logs out with it but it has now sat under a tree unused for years

can we see a pic of it please?

On 07/06/2018 at 08:48, wicklamulla said:

can we see a pic of it please?

it is made out of light weight steel so it could be manually pushed up ramps into a trailer and made out of what i had lying around at the time.I already had the tirfor and some of the blocks.Because the cable goes around so many times it would take a lot of cranking to get the log to lift up .One wheel is inboard for travelling as it would not fit in the trailer otherwise and down in the leaves is a 50mm tow hitch.With a decent jockey wheel you could push it over the log run a chain through the two lower blocks .Get as much slack out as possible (we used a chain binder).Crank the winch until the log hits the top beam and then tow the whole setup out to the street either with the pto winch on the Toyota ute or on the towball if we could get the ute in.

I remember getting one log out by pushing and pulling by hand.Never again did we bother trying

BTW the washing line is not part of it .LOL

trailer 033.jpg

In this pic the cable goes from the winch thru the block on the top beam down to the other end back round 2 blocks on one side of the beam then back to the front yellow sheave then back to the blocks on the other side of the beam and then the hook comes back to the winch end .Pretty complicated really but originally i tried a straight pull but it did the beam no favours

I should get all the hardware off and sell it.it has been parked there at least 10 years now 

It seems i have a problem parting with my 'stuff'

trailer 034.jpg

Edited by kimtree