What are your biggest pet peeves?

nath

On 18/06/2018 at 18:25, Mick Dempsey said:

When you’re not on the job and the client wangles extras out of the lad(s) who can’t say no or negotiate extra money.

Like piles of garden waste brought out to the chipper whilst on lunch break or dumped under the tree to be felled. 

OR... and this boils my piss, wood miser old b'strd client stands over employees making sure nothing bigger than a pencil goes through the chipper.

OR...

Client gives lads €10 for an extra half hours work when it actually cost €100 because now they are late getting home, stuck on the ringroad earning exhorbitant French overtime rates and I'm waiting at the workshop to unload and turn the blades before going quoting now after dark and don't see the fecking phone line running through the conifers so this job runs over by half a day.

Phew, I feel better for getting that off my chest.

Ty

• Like 5

... People / Companies / Job Agencies that promise that they'll call you back within a specified time frame and then... Nothing. So you either have to chase them yourself and look like a desperate loser or sit and stew and use every swear word you known on them. 

As I'm, ahem, resting between jobs at the moment this is something that's really fekkin me off. Why say that you'll call back when there's no intention to? It's just plain rude. I would've got a right bollocking if I'd treated people like that in any of my previous jobs. I called up to accept a job last Friday for instance and I was promised a call back within the hour and guess what? I'm still waiting for that call. Grrrrr. 

Aaaaaaaaand rant over ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/06/2018 at 21:41, eggsarascal said:

No awkward situation. When I'm subbing I do what the boss man asks me to do, if the customer wants more doing I ask them to ring the paymaster or I ring him and ask what he wants me to do. It's the difference between a good subbie and a bad one.

Totally agree!

Subs should always get the customer to ring the boss. It does 2 things; allows whoever's running the show to amend schedule and plan/ alter logistics. Makes customer acutely aware that YOU ALL KNOW they are taking a liberty. Time is not free and no one has an unlimited supply.

Biggest pet peeve of them all. What planet do people live on that they think at the end of a job you'll want to do another half hour for free rather than going home to chill or on to the next job. Just don't get it at all. 

No awkward situation. When I'm subbing I do what the boss man asks me to do, if the customer wants more doing I ask them to ring the paymaster or I ring him and ask what he wants me to do. It's the difference between a good subbie and a bad one.   

Often as soon as the boss leaves, the client will appear and say "Now you're here, you are going to do the other 3 hedges and other trees aren't you?"...

My reply is " I'm just the guy with the saw, I don't make the decisions.

I'll get the boss to call you".

Their reply is "oh..."

[emoji51][emoji57][emoji23][emoji12]

• Like 1

Have you noticed that bringing out coffees is often linked, almost before they have put the tray down, with “now can I ask you a favour, can you just - lower that 40 yards of bramble choked conifer hedge by 4 feet, or take off that one and a half ton of bough over the conservatory from that scots pine with no top in.
Yeah, give us a minute I’ll sort a price out for you missus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

Often as soon as the boss leaves, the client will appear and say "Now you're here, you are going to do the other 3 hedges and other trees aren't you?"...

My reply is " I'm just the guy with the saw, I don't make the decisions.

I'll get the boss to call you".

Their reply is "oh..."

emoji51.pngemoji57.pngemoji23.pngemoji12.png

If it ain't on our job sheet/instruction, we ain't doing it! Simples...

• Like 2