Why so expensive in the UK - Main Dealer Greed?

Lazurus

25 minutes ago, Graham said:

I posted recently about a clutch problem with my Isuzu.  I asked a mate who manages a motor factor for a price on a clutch master cylinder; no problem £125 to you (pattern part).  I phoned Milner Off Road; £9.03 for a pattern part.

Someone is taking the p!55 somewhere.

Had the same a few weeks ago, needed a leaf spring for the van, mate owns the local factors, mates rates £160. I got one delivered off the Internet for £75. Some things he beats Internet prices, other things he's miles out.

59 minutes ago, Graham said:

I posted recently about a clutch problem with my Isuzu.  I asked a mate who manages a motor factor for a price on a clutch master cylinder; no problem £125 to you (pattern part).  I phoned Milner Off Road; £9.03 for a pattern part.

Does happen! After all, we are pretty well all working for the capitalism ideal of work and get rich! We all want to eat meat at the weekend.....

I have a 14 gallon sprayer on the back of the self propelled mower  I use around the yard and garden similar to this one which costs £90

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-Tools-34674-12V-DC-37-Litre-Spot-Weed-Killer-Fertilizer-Sprayer-ATV-Quad/201371719639?epid=1806155923&hash=item2ee2b097d7:g:o~AAAOSw~OdVeax2

The pump went wrong and the local dealer wanted £78 for a new pump

This pump  has a similar performance although physically smaller for £5.99 or £8 with postage.  It has been working fine for over a year now, in fact I think it is slightly more powerful than the original and if it goes wrong I am not going to lose much sleep over buying another.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-70-PSI-High-Pressure-Agricultural-Electric-Diaphragm-Water-Sprayer-Pump/263026519600?epid=18002556164&hash=item3d3d9a2e30:g:locAAOSwJAtZOQ1O

2 hours ago, Graham said:

I need a neutral poz switch for the gearbox on my Navara . 87 quid main dealer  .....  less than 15 from them .

Just consider yourselves lucky you don't live in Norway.  Items are usually vastly more expensive here - from beer to wood chippers!

if you try and sneakily import from outside of Norway it get stopped at customs and import and taxes added.  vAT is 25% here as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeteB said:

Does happen! After all, we are pretty well all working for the capitalism ideal of work and get rich! We all want to eat meat at the weekend.....

I know everyone has to live but there's a difference between a roast at the weekend and a full-blown banquet.  Sometimes I wish I had that mentality and be able to sleep well at night knowing I'd ripped somebody off.

• Like 2

Not saying that ain’t true Mick and I understand that that a cup of coffee in Starbucks can’t be compared to buying a jar of coffee and a pint of milk in Aldi, but some companies mark ups are beyond reasonable. 

Buying belts for chippers and grinders, some of the local hydraulic suppliers are 4-500 % dearer! I’d love to support local businesses, but they usually don’t stock what you want, take longer than buying online and then have your trousers done and spank ya ar@e for the privilege 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gary Prentice said:

Not saying that ain’t true Mick and I understand that that a cup of coffee in Starbucks can’t be compared to buying a jar of coffee and a pint of milk in Aldi, but some companies mark ups are beyond reasonable. 

Buying belts for chippers and grinders, some of the local hydraulic suppliers are 4-500 % dearer! I’d love to support local businesses, but they usually don’t stock what you want, take longer than buying online and then have your trousers done and spank ya ar@e for the privilege 

This is why high street shops are a dieing trade. My leaf spring was over twice the price I got one delivered the next day for. I also like to support local business but not if they think I'm going to take it dry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A friends dad in France imported the biggest John Deere skidder I've ever seen from the USA.
Cost him €100,000 second hand.
Reckoned he saved €50k by not buying locally.
And that's all legit with taxes and shipping.
[emoji51]

• Like 1