Chainsaws and warm/hot sheds??

drinksloe

8 hours ago, Stubby said:

What you say is true .  However I think the tank vents are designed to allow air into the tank to prevent a vacuum forming but not allow fuel out in the other direction . This may restrict air in the outward direction as well .

18 hours ago, Steven P said:

I might be getting this a bit wrong, but what is there to stop any pressure build up escaping through the carb?

This bit Stubby. 

• Like 1

I would have no concerns for the saw itself when subject to these temperatures, so leave it with the tank cap fully closed. It will be fine.

But I have definite concerns over the petrol fume laden atmosphere, its an accident just waiting to happen. Don't smoke when entering, and don't fire the saw up.

Inhaling the fumes will not do you any good either, long term.

Also be aware that your fuel will deteriorate much more rapidly when subject to temperature changes. When the temperature drops the tanks will draw back in from the surrounding air and if that air is damp the moisture will be gobbled up by the ethanol content of the petrol. The first effect will be the formation of water in the bottom of the tanks, and if unused, this water will react with the ethanol to form a gelatinous gunge which will cause engine issues.

By far the best place to store your fuel, either in cans or in the saw, will be in the cool, stable atmosphere of the stone built shed.

• Like 1

Must admit after seeing that clip of the shed blowing up it does make u think again.

There is some vents, holes under the corragted tin and around doors so doubt it would blow up but don't fancy taking the chance either.

Cheers to all who answered, atleast i know it won't damage my saws, i'm surpried the ammount of heat that builds up in the shed, my last shed was block walls with insulated tin roof and the cans hardly swelled/shrunk at all.

Glad i asked wot i thought was a stupid question, i mibee will go back to building a block cupboard to store them, there is an external vent in the middle of the wall i could build the cupboard around which might minimise the fums/smell in the stone building.