7.5 ton mewp rules?

jmac

There is a 7.5 ton truck mewp for sale locally and the guy says its mot exempt and can run on red diesel? Is this true? And if so are there any restrictions? O licence? Is it legal to tow a chipper with? Hope someone can clear this up.

Old git does I believe... looks a handy set up for when you can blow back chip on road side stuff as it is a hassle taking out more vehicles when the mewps limited to only doing what it does, you some times it think was it worth the hassle in bringing it out three trucks on site.

Most truck mounts over 3.5 ton were mot  exempt as they were registered as special types or plant .

I’m  not sure if this still applies under new regs .

this exemption also allowed running on red ,most of the big  truck mounts had donkey engines for on site use.

we run a 27m on a 3.5 ton cabstar to be honest I’m quite happy to have it mot tested every year and fuel running costs on white are not unreasonable.

I know of several truck mounts in use that should never be on the road or have also never seen a 6monthly thorough examination in their life.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Philip Anderson said:

Most truck mounts over 3.5 ton were mot  exempt as they were registered as special types or plant .

I’m  not sure if this still applies under new regs .

this exemption also allowed running on red ,most of the big  truck mounts had donkey engines for on site use.

we run a 27m on a 3.5 ton cabstar to be honest I’m quite happy to have it mot tested every year and fuel running costs on white are not unreasonable.

I know of several truck mounts in use that should never be on the road or have also never seen a 6monthly thorough examination in their life.

Thats pretty much it, vehicles registererd in this category as " tower wagons" have to comply with the new regs. Ag registered vehicles are classified as " agricultural machines" which outside of this legislation , this will probably be on the hit list in years to come. The new plating laws will be in place for 40kph tractors/trailers soon.

Bob

Old git does I believe... looks a handy set up for when you can blow back chip on road side stuff as it is a hassle taking out more vehicles when the mewps limited to only doing what it does, you some times it think was it worth the hassle in bringing it out three trucks on site.
Yes I do but my mewp is down as plg so subject to mot tax and white diesel so basically a landrover that happens to carry a mewp, if I had it register as plant or tower crane it wouldn't be allowed apparently