Brush Cutter recomendations

David Dobedoe

7 minutes ago, ABtrees said:

Hi David

I also have the 460 and just been using the 40-2 (now 46-2) it came with originally along with square 2.7mm for grass/ young bracken/brambles etc and then the 270 shredder blade for the more serious scrub.  Have you tried the 4.00mm on the jetfit as Stubby is suggesting and does the 460 have enough grunt to handle it ?  If not what is the max line you've found works?

4mm is about what it can handle comfortably. The best approach with the jetfits is four strands and a suitably big machine to power it.

Its a long time since i used a jet fit head so cant remember how long cord lasted but i wouldnt want to use one if you have lots of obstacles i was strimming railings the other day and 100ft of railings emptied the strimmer cord would get very frustrating with a jet fir head constantly stopping to change cord 

Other strimming jobs im sure they are better suited

1 hour ago, David R Barras said:

4mm is about what it can handle comfortably. The best approach with the jetfits is four strands and a suitably big machine to power it.

I have to respectfully disagree . For me 2 lines is best as you can have them longer  . I have them about 9 inches long .  Agree on the big machine bit . Run mine on a 555RXT . 

3 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I have to respectfully disagree . For me 2 lines is best as you can have them longer  . I have them about 9 inches long .  Agree on the big machine bit . Run mine on a 555RXT . 

If I have the cord on the 460 to long it messes with the mtronic and causes the engine to run too fast, plus with four strands and mulches up the grass.

Just now, David R Barras said:

If I have the cord on the 460 to long it messes with the mtronic and causes the engine to run too fast, plus with four strands and mulches up the grass.

Each to his own ?

• 1 year later...

I've bought Remington RM2700 and very satisfied. This is a perfect lightweight yet powerful trimmer. The two stroke engine starts easily, and is plenty powerful enough even for tough grass and weeds. This engine is much lighter in weight than a comparable power four stroke engine. I have used the trimmer a number of times last summer and must consider it cuts even long wire grass and crab grass quite easily. One reviewer criticized the trimmer for having what they considered an inadequate amount of plastic line on the spool. I disagree with that summary as the line is thick (0.095") and strong. I find that the line hardly wears even when I am cutting heavy vegetation and think that even with quite a lot of use on my 1 acre yard the line will last an entire season.

This is my experience.

On 28/05/2018 at 12:07, rowan lee said:

Thanks Stubby. My 36cc might struggle then, though I could try 4mm in shorter lengths? Haven't used square before. Does it offer any advantage over an equivalent sized round cord from your experience?

Square filaments have approx 30% more mass than their round equivalent(more surface area), that’s why you definitely need a machine powerful enough to run it. Husqvarna 545rxt if I could only choose one, best all rounder on the market.

I run a 335rxt and a 555rxt for a mixture of grass and scrub, and 555fxt clearing saw with heated handles imported from Sweden for plantation thinning/sssi’s.

Edited by The avantgardener

I’ve been thinking about getting another Stihl but they don’t seem as good as they once were and the last 2 were a waste of money.had a old 55cc echo which lasted well and ran great for years but regret giving that to a friend.

The 545 might be the one I will try next .