Brush Cutter recomendations

David Dobedoe

Just now, Burgess said:

Jet fit head whatever you get. We run 3 and they've never given trouble. Although the bottom cap has never fallen off which I was told would happen straight away.

I said that ?

• Like 1

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 18:22, Stubby said:

IMG_20170619_180519.thumb.jpg.57dda9c4781eede7c7dcc1ea9a2a1356.jpgIMG_20170619_180545.thumb.jpg.36a26f72811fafd16893cda163cea606.jpg

Deffo the Jet Fit Head .

Hiya Stubby. I haven't used a jet head before. I use 2.4mm line on an autofeed head (36cc machine). What advantages do these jet heads offer? Cheers.

3 minutes ago, rowan lee said:

Hiya Stubby. I haven't used a jet head before. I use 2.4mm line on an autofeed head (36cc machine). What advantages do these jet heads offer? Cheers.

They take a heavier line for rough stuff and it's quick to change. 

• Like 1

As woodworks  says really . I run the Diamond Edge 4.0mm square and this creates quite a drag so you need a big grunty machiene to use it . 45cc upwards I would say .  No guard so I can make the lines about 9 inches long to get a wide swipe . The plus is you can change the lines in seconds , just pull the short tail with some pliers and inset a new length the same direction , leave enough short tail to get the pliers on when you want to change it , give it a quick tug in the opposite direction for the jaws to grip it .  With this thick strong line you can clatter down all sorts . You don't get " welding " or snapping at the eyelets like you do with a bump feed .  I use a 4 line head but only put 2 lines in the lower slots . This keeps the nut recessed  so it wont dig in the ground . There is a plastic cone to cover it but I find I loose them pretty quick so don't bother with them .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Stubby said:

As woodworks  says really . I run the Diamond Edge 4.0mm square and this creates quite a drag so you need a big grunty machiene to use it . 45cc upwards I would say .  No guard so I can make the lines about 9 inches long to get a wide swipe . The plus is you can change the lines in seconds , just pull the short tail with some pliers and inset a new length the same direction , leave enough short tail to get the pliers on when you want to change it , give it a quick tug in the opposite direction for the jaws to grip it .  With this thick strong line you can clatter down all sorts . You don't get " welding " or snapping at the eyelets like you do with a bump feed .  I use a 4 line head but only put 2 lines in the lower slots . This keeps the nut recessed  so it wont dig in the ground . There is a plastic cone to cover it but I find I loose them pretty quick so don't bother with them .

Are you sure that you secure the cones properly? I've never had a problem with them.

Just now, David R Barras said:

Are you sure that you secure the cones properly? I've never had a problem with them.

I'm going back a few years now , probably 6 or 7 so they may be improved by now .  Or maybe I'm just heavy handed .....?

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

Thanks Stubby. My 36cc might struggle then, though I could try 4mm in shorter lengths? Haven't used square before. Does it offer any advantage over an equivalent sized round cord from your experience?

1 minute ago, rowan lee said:

Thanks Stubby. My 36cc might struggle then, though I could try 4mm in shorter lengths? Haven't used square before. Does it offer any advantage over an equivalent sized round cord from your experience?

Cuts better. In a 36 cc machine I'd personally use 3/3.5mm. Jetfit heads can handle 2mm to 4mm cord.

• Like 1

The jet fits dont have an eyelet as such, there's a larger area that allows the cord to bend over more of its length, so line lasts a little longer too as its more forgiving. However you do end up with lots of stubs, but really the price of line is cheap so its not a big deal.

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 17:45, David R Barras said:

FS460 (I own one) or a FS490 with an Oregon jetfit would be my choice.

Hi David

I also have the 460 and just been using the 40-2 (now 46-2) it came with originally along with square 2.7mm for grass/ young bracken/brambles etc and then the 270 shredder blade for the more serious scrub.  Have you tried the 4.00mm on the jetfit as Stubby is suggesting and does the 460 have enough grunt to handle it ?  If not what is the max line you've found works?