Kingswood Training Kent and freelance

AriesArborists

Hi everyone

i am looking at taking an intensive course at Kingswood training centre in kent.

after finishing i will recieve certs...

• Unit 201/202 (CS30) – Chainsaw Maintenance and Crosscutting
  • NPTC Unit 203 (CS31) – Felling Trees up to 380mm diameter
  • NPTC Unit 206/306 (CS38) – Tree Climbing and Aerial Rescue
  • NPTC Unit 308 (CS39) – Using a Chainsaw from a Rope and Harness
  • LANTRA Cert. – Use of Woodchippers
  • LANTRA Cert. – Use of Stumpgrinders
  • LANTRA Cert – Basic Tree Inspection (BTI)
  • EFAW – Emergency First Aid at Work 

Can anyone tell me what sort of freelance work i would be competent at after this course? I understand experience is important but i am going to need another part time job while i get the experience to boost my income and get more regular work?

i am hard worker, 32 years old. Fit, own car, own ppe and saw.

Cheers

Almost nothing, they teach how to technically do basic tree cuts and access the tree in a very basic way.

Will take years of on the job training before you can expect 150 a day.

You will be a burden to any firm for at least 1-2 year.

You will also need large felling and aerial dismantling to be fully competent from a legal prospective.

It takes 5-10 years to become a pro, you can get the basics and small stuff within 1-2 years, rookie at 3-5 years.

Lots will say that's wrong but i have worked with 100+ climbers and this is my experience after 15 years climbing and 13 operating a business.

You wont be able to freelance as you wont have any actual skill, you will just be insurable.

Hope it helps.. Climb safe and learn fast.........

• Like 2

Arbtalk elitism strikes again! ? 

Those courses will teach you the basics and the safety involved, how employable you are will depend on how quickly you learn to become an asset to an employer. Of course your not going to be knocking out crane jobs in your first couple of years I'd imagine but with a little experience and the right attitude you should be able to get work.

Don't be to set on labeling yourself as a climber either, you'll pick up just as much on the ground as you would in the tree, and it still pays the bills.

This is my personal opinion, and I'm sure others will disagree, I can only base this on the 18 months I've been doing this job - and I like to think that if I was a burden to the companies I sub to, then I wouldn't be asked back.

• Like 1

Find work with a decent crew and you will learn in time, take all the chances your given to practice/learn and watch what/how others do things. Most good climbers have good experience on the ground first so don’t worry about starting there

Thanks for the replies

i am not wanting to earn 150 a day straight off but would like to earn around 100 a day to be honest.

self employment is definitely my aim.

so afer this course for instance if a family  member wanted a medium sized tree in the garden brought down i could handle that? Or not? Odd foreigners would be ideal but i suppose i will be only self taught and not learning from someone. I like to feel free in my job you see. I am actually taking a huge pay cut so as long as i have freedom in my job and able to live comfortably i will be quite happy with that as i learn? Its really not about making 150 quid a day and going to the top. Just would like to get some peace of mind to the fact i have a foot in a trade and can be competent to get some work and be comfortable in the work.

i dont want to be a 32 year old groundie making tea and being used as a gofer. I was hoping the tickets would give me a pretty good crack at the whip? 

I'm 41, been waving chainsaws for over ten years, spent nearly 20k on kit and courses.

Got offered £50-£80 a day up north. Normally £100-£150 down south.

most employers won't pay much over £100.

as inexperienced staff you'd be lucky to get £80 a day.

be prepared to take a lot of shit from diva climbers.

keep going.

eventually you'll find your feet and some decent guys to work with.

good luck mate

?

Having seen the skill level of new guys on cs30/31 course, I wouldn't let them near any tree without a long slow chat about what will happen.

medium tree at your mates house?

dont go near it.

get experience with professionals  for a few years minimum before you go it alone.

when shit goes wrong with trees and chainsaws it can kill and maim.