Stihl 201tcm kill switch intermittent

Blah

The off switch on my Stihl 201 tcm has started playing up. Intermittently, it just doesn't switch off. When it doesn't, revving it up while pushing switch forward seems to work sometimes. Pretty annoying.

Any ideas where to look for causes/fixes?

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

Don't lose the little springs, and take it apart slowly. Take photos as you go, so you have reference when putting back together.

not difficult.

?

Take photos as you go :lol::lol:

Generally as you split the casing something catches and everything just falls out. Then after a couple of hours of reassembly - trying to put springs and things in places that make no sense, it seems a good idea to disassemble another saw to see how it all works.

You then have two saws in the same situation.... Allow at least a weekend for this simple task and prepare for tears....

My advice is either let someone else sort it, use the choke to turn it off or buy a new saw :001_smile:

Joking aside, it's not difficult but can be extremely fiddly and frustrating.

201T handle assemblyJPG.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Gary Prentice said:

Take photos as you go :lol::lol:

Generally as you split the casing something catches and everything just falls out. Then after a couple of hours of reassembly - trying to put springs and things in places that make no sense, it seems a good idea to disassemble another saw to see how it all works.

You then have two saws in the same situation.... Allow at least a weekend for this simple task and prepare for tears....

My advice is either let someone else sort it, use the choke to turn it off or buy a new saw :001_smile:

Joking aside, it's not difficult but can be extremely fiddly and frustrating.

201T handle assemblyJPG.JPG

All this is very true. I have done all this, then ended up taking it to a chainsaw shop to be reassembled by a pro.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Haha 1

Well, that wasn’t so bad. Went at it carefully, cleaned out the round orange plastic switch thing and the two flat springs which presumably get connected to each other via the metal rod in the orange thing for the engine to switch off.

There was greasy dust there anyway which was a plausible explanation.

All went together allright, saw started up and stopped at the times.

Took a few pics which i might as well post, it might help someone out.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1527275648.792670.jpg.086764ce69b4cc004c024cf66f785b1d.jpgImageUploadedByArbtalk1527275659.051049.jpg.ce47376f5e423926edf06fbf77dceab6.jpgImageUploadedByArbtalk1527275670.970179.jpg.0e5884e5d98848c3f267d8e0946d8cdd.jpg

Thanks all for the advice, my own is to go very careful and you’ll be allright [emoji106]?

And also, no need to take the ignition module off. That was a bit of a fiddle to adjust correctly (I think?!?)

• Like 2