Tipper pump / ram

swinny

Does anyone know if you can change settings on a tipper pump?

Oil levels are fine just struggles to tip a full load. Sounds like low oil etc but isnt. It has a decent 5 stage ram aswell! New truck to me and old one was fine.

this is the pump : 

Many thanks Chris

1E8D7AAE-F277-40A8-9CF9-0DF32C461710.jpeg

Don't take my word for it swinny, but check the battery connections are clean, then have the cover off the solinoid and check that the contacts are ok.

One of the grown ups who know about hydraulics will be along soon. Always best to check the easy stuff first mind.

• Like 1

It’s all about the geometry - I’ll bet it’s fine once it gets started? Not really much you can do in terms of raising pump pressure on those 12v power packs AFAIK - all you can really do is move the base or top of the ram’s position to give it better leverage to get things moving (but you will subsequently lose tip angle). 

• Like 1

I had a similar issue on a brand new ingimex tipper. It wouldnt tip anythig heavier than half a tonne.

After complaining to them, they sent an engineer out from the factory to " up the pressures". From then on, it would tip anyhting you put on it!

My  current scattolinni tipper has a multi stage ram, and the guy who came out to convert it to three way said they have maximum power at start, but by the time it gets to the top, its reduced.

So in essence, there is a way of adjusting it, but i dont know how!

31 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

I had a similar issue on a brand new ingimex tipper. It wouldnt tip anythig heavier than half a tonne.

After complaining to them, they sent an engineer out from the factory to " up the pressures". From then on, it would tip anyhting you put on it!

My  current scattolinni tipper has a multi stage ram, and the guy who came out to convert it to three way said they have maximum power at start, but by the time it gets to the top, its reduced.

Mines a scantolinni tipper aswell!

was tipping on an incline but transit would have pissed it!

5 stage ram. Struggles with the last ram.

today delivering chip on an inclined drive it struggled past ram 3!!!

Cheers

Edited by swinny

10 minutes ago, swinny said:

Mines a scantolinni tipper aswell!

was tipping on an incline but transit would have pissed it!

5 stage ram. Struggles with the last ram.

today delivering chip on an inclined drive it struggled past ram 3!!!

Cheers

Mine does the same thing. If you back up a slope and tip,it doesnt like it. Might be worth you emailing vfs and asking why. I wonder if its some kind of safety mechanism, in case the whole truck falls on its side?.?

1 hour ago, dig-dug-dan said:

I doubt it's adjustable, the engineer also probably got his terminology wrong and should have said force rather than power.

With a multistage ram the piston area of the first stage is highest, so as force equals pressure times area there is more force produced by the first stage than latter stages, with necessarily have smaller pistons and areas.

9 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I doubt it's adjustable, the engineer also probably got his terminology wrong and should have said force rather than power.

With a multistage ram the piston area of the first stage is highest, so as force equals pressure times area there is more force produced by the first stage than latter stages, with necessarily have smaller pistons and areas.

Can i get a bigger and stronger tipper pump/ reservoir to replace it then? Its poor!

1 hour ago, swinny said:

Can i get a bigger and stronger tipper pump/ reservoir to replace it then? Its poor!

First step, after making sure the electrical connections are making good contact, would be to check the pressure the pump reaches and whether the pressure relief valve is opening too early. Getting a new pump and reservoir is easy enough but you're limited by how much current you can provide at 12 Volts