Government plans to tackle pollution

Con

1 hour ago, devon TWiG said:

Will this be yet another case of supposedly clever , highly paid people introducing a badly thought out badly worded piece of legislation , open to mis-interpretation ??   Only time I think it will be used is by complaining neighbours !

It's never going to be cost effective to investigate and prosecute.  It's another tory scare tactic to put people off burners, because they've all got shares in the energy companies ( maybe )

2 hours ago, devon TWiG said:

Will this be yet another case of supposedly clever , highly paid people introducing a badly thought out badly worded piece of legislation , open to mis-interpretation ??   Only time I think it will be used is by complaining neighbours !

Is there any new legislation? I thought they were just throwing ideas about at present.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Big J said:

It's quite funny that they are considering these measures to penalise small scale firewood users, whilst at the same time paying hundreds of millions out in RHI payments for larger organisations to burn timber products that are almost never under 20% MC. Seems ludicrous to me.

That's because you consider wood at 20% moisture content being the only way to burn cleanly. In fact if you keep the combustion temperature up  and allow the flame to burn out without quenching then you can burn greener wood cleanly. The  advantage large scale burners have is that the combustion can take place well before any heat is lost from the flame and before flue gases reach a heat echanger. On a smaller device the stove walls are often the only heat exchange surfaces, when they are only metal boxes the flame has little chance to complete its burn before it comes into contact with a col metal surface. This is why more recent designs have firebricks to increase firebox temperature and often pre heated air but the small size alone means heat losses per firebox volume are higher than large devices.

So as one of the larger heat losses in a fire is from vaporising water it makes sense to minimise this loss to keep combustion temperatures up, hence the requirement for 20% mc wood.

I don't know what other techniques will be necessary to meet the new ecodesign standards but it looks like HETAS will only be allowed to sign off these ecodesign stoves so simple stoves will no longer meet building regulations let alone the old DEFRA exempt stove category.

• Like 2