New laws on woodburners

Mick Dempsey

Why

Reason:

Wood burning is adding between 24% and 31% to the particle pollution emitted in Birmingham and London.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/feb/01/pollutionwatch-wood-burning-worsening-uk-air-quality

If on mains gas for the majority of people why do you need to burn wood apart from the stove look pretty or be trendy.

Peoples health shouldn't be damages so someone can have a fire as a  fashion   Lifestyle Accessory

Edited by Stere

28 minutes ago, Stere said:

If on mains gas for the majority of people why do you need to burn wood apart from the stove look pretty or be trendy.

I can see a few reasons:

1) we are burning gas at an alarming rate and it was intended that building regs would deprecate gas connections for new builds by 2016, what the current situation is I don't know.

2) Most of us on this forum burn wood because it heats our homes cheaper than other fuels. Granted this is not true for most who buy logs as a luxury item. Since the demise of the pulp mills wood burning has provided an economic outlet for forestry.

3) It is possible and practicable to burn wood acceptably cleanly

• Like 2

The Guardian article mentioned a £400 deposit scheme for old wood burners in Begern (however a quick google couldn't find any further info or analysis of the impact?). If it was successful I certainly would support a similar scheme for the worst affected areas in the UK, with maybe an interest free green loan for those households living under the poverty line. It might not be the most cost efficient from a neoclassical point of view, but certainly more efficient from most social and environmental economic point of view. 

Not sure where the BBC got the info that most of the wet wood burnt comes from garage forecourts? Not arguing that, just curious to the source. I would maybe also argue that a lot is burnt by those who frequent gumtree/ebay looking for cheap wood but then too impatient to let it season properly. But that's more based on personal observations (ie those houses in my local village which every time you pass you always see plumes of white smoke from the chimneys are all owned by the weekend salvagers/B&Q chainsaws lot).

19 hours ago, Stumpy Grinder said:

What an absolute load of shite! Modern wood burners are about 80% efficient and use a renewable resource. Open fires are about 20% efficient so why not target them? Wood burning is pretty much carbon neutral, and if wood is dried, then it is also very clean.

So what about natural forest fires in places like America or Australia where an area the size of the UK goes up in flames? Will they ban those too? What about volcanoes that chuck more particulates into the atmosphere than my 4.5 kw woodburner?

Diesel trucks and cars? What about the extra pressure on oil and natural gas what are not renewable?

Wood burners are insignificant compared to the real sources of pollution? But they are an easy target. I'll keep using mine until the woodburner police raise a valid prosecution.

SG

Modern woodburners aren't 80% efficient... most of the energy goes up the chimney.

They say they are 80% efficient as it sounds better in the adverts & DEFRA jumped on that bandwagon by approving some. 
cheers, steve

• Like 1

Sorry for the language but what a load of fucking bull shit. No I'm sorry stoves are efficient if used properly. Wood smoke isn't going to kill anyone, it's been happening for centuries and now they want to stop us having a fire? This country is actually a joke. They are insignificant compared to other sources of pollution. What about all the people who have built a lively hood selling firewood? Forestry? All the habitat made from turning land into woodland for firewood. Fucking joke. Sorry again for the language but this irratates me

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Modern woodburners aren't 80% efficient... most of the energy goes up the chimney.

They say they are 80% efficient as it sounds better in the adverts & DEFRA jumped on that bandwagon by approving some. 
cheers, steve

So, my HETA Inspire 45 woodburner is claimed to have an efficiency of 84% when burning wood. Are you claiming that to be incorrect? If so, please elaborate on what tests you have done to disprove this? Or, are you giving out more hot air than my flue?9_9

SG

Edited by Stumpy Grinder
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Stumpy Grinder said:

So, my HETA Inspire 45 woodburner is claimed to have an efficiency of 84% when burning wood. Are you claiming that to be incorrect? If so, please elaborate on what tests you have done to disprove this?

SG

I read something about how testing was done from a guy involved in the development of the Burley. The percentage figure is derived from measuring of the flew gases and the efficiency of conversion but nothing to do with how much heat ends up in the room. 

Edit. Did a search for where I read this but looks like I was talking tosh haha https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,10364.0.html

Edited by Woodworks