New laws on woodburners

Mick Dempsey

I think it's all a bit crazy, great idea in someways but 1 rule with such things can't cover all, I live in the middle of nowhere, I have an oil boiler that kicksin if my wood burner (Rayburn) isn't doing enough, the Rayburn, heats my house, cooks my dinner and give hot water for us off a few logs and saves me a fortune in oil. the process of refining oil, delivering it to me etc also has an impact to pollution. I could go on but can't be bothered..

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Stere said:

I think they should be banned/restricted in cities if the house is on a mains gas supply.

This is in large part already the case. Many councils use the availability of mains gas as the criteria for smokeless zones.

Within smokeless zones you need an approved stove and you MUST burn DRY wood.

My brother lives within the smokeless zone and burns wood. One of his neighbours complained to the council visited and observed the colour of the smoke. They were happy he was burning dry wood.

3 hours ago, Stere said:

I think they should be banned/restricted in cities if the house is on a mains gas supply.

Makes sense really. If you are paying for logs it's going to be costing you you more than heating with gas.

Should others be paying the price for bad air quality for what in that situation is just a lifestyle choice?  

Different equation if you are getting your logs for free.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

Different equation if you are getting your logs for free

Can you imagine the numbers of log goblins would grow exponentially ☺

Fighting in the woods and fields over the last fallen twig - its all free wood guv honest! 

We'll probably end up with an approved dry firewood sellers registered scheme 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, skyhuck said:

Within smokeless zones you need an approved stove and you MUST burn DRY wood.

I looked into smokeless zones in 2008 when I installed my logburner and couldn't find any proper info online about which areas are smokeless zones.  Is there a website where you can check using a postcode?  I certainly couldn't find one when I installed my logburner so I just did it anyway.  I live in a fairly rural area so I assumed it would be fine but I wanted to check but got nowhere.