Life’s small pleasures.

Mick Dempsey

1 hour ago, Chessa said:

1. My grown-up children coming to visit me, wherever I have landed up and spending all day and all night together, talking, having adventures, reading together, playing, laughing, swapping music and stories, eating and sharing the little moments that make up our lives. All this brings back warm, life affirming memories of stability, family and home-life before we were separated by tough circumstance; and for a while restores what was lost.

2. The rhythms of Nature and it’s endless in-between and abundant times; like changing light as the sun sets in bruised rose and gold high in the mountains, above the tree line - and as the mist rises from the warm verdant green valley below; the sharpness of the first tingling white frost, the first suffocating blanket of snow, the first blossoms of the year, and their wild, fresh scent; the glory of richly evolving vibrant colours and musky perfume of every deep-leafed autumn; the gentle chill and stilling that twilight brings, with an outdoor fire already lit like a friend to hold hands with into the night; hearing morning birds and night birds from my bed; the sound of wind through leaves anywhere with my eyes closed; leaning my spine against the trunk of a tree and feeling us move together as one; being massaged by the sun’s summer heat on my shoulders and back; the flutter of Robin wings close by as I garden, like a promise kept; dancing barefoot and wet-to the skin in torrential rain during a violent storm...all of it and more...watching people wipe away a tear or banish a frown with a kiss and grow a smile; the full moon over the deep dark sea; sand and leaves trapped in my hair; the smell after rain on hot earth breaking a long drought-dry spell. The frenzied call of swifts reminding me of my own nomadicy - reminding me of places left and refound; spiderwebs with clinging droplets lit up like jewels in a ray of light through the canopy; childhood lullabies of crickets and cicadas melding with my father non-stop talking all evening. The look in my mother’s eye of silent unspent love; the fleeting Aurora of the skies and the almost forever stars; daydreams of flying with creatures like dragonflies, damsels and birds, as I cloudwatch laying in hidden meadows; standing in waterfalls, natural pools and streams, riding waves in the sea and sitting on top of crags and trees having climbed there alone or with a friend; making love outside, with kisses and movement so deep it makes all living things want urgently to cry or laugh, or live or die; and breathing together the same air, asleep and entwined on moss or fur; and the furious crash of the Atlantic against rocky cliffs and it’s booming, boiling, and surging whipped peaks and clouds of salt-spray - and all the fear and yearning it courts.

3. Being held by a loved one in a hug that you wish will never end.

Hippy.  That was a mint thing to read on a Monday morning.

I like the first rays of sun in spring, 

Edited by Mark J
Can't work emoticons.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...