Jump to content
Baldbloke

Recommendations for larger strimmer

Recommended Posts

I recently bought a second hand FS 460 C which turned out not to be the bargain I was hoping for. It started missing after it warmed up. Luckily it was from a dealer who is willing to take it back. Probably just the coil, but even he suggested that he couldn't be bothered sorting it and it would be sent to auction.

I need something fairly heavy duty as the garden is around three acres, and I'm presently alternating using an ancient Stihl backpack strimmer, and nasty homeowner type of kit.

As I'm strimming most weeks during the summer, what are the makes worth looking at please?

Edited by Baldbloke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have said big old Stihl 400 series. I've got one for clearance work that I got second hand a few years ago and it's not missed a beat or cost me anything other than normal service items. :thumbup1:

Edited by felixthelogchopper
Bloody autocorrect.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the type of vegetation, and are you planning on using line or a blade?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, scbk said:

What is the type of vegetation, and are you planning on using line or a blade?

Usually thick line for grass, couch grass, nettles, and docks, but like the occasional use of a blade for brambles. Never got on using the shrub/tree cutting circular saws as always dinged them on rocks:D

Edited by Baldbloke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Baldbloke said:

Usually thick line, but like the occasional use of a blade for brambles. Never got on using the shrub/tree cutting circular saws as always dinged them on rocks:D

My way of doing it is with 2 machines.

 

53cc 2 stroke Kawasaki for running a thick line, for heavy grass

35cc 4 stroke Honda for either a thinner line (for lighter grass/edges) or running metal blades(for brambles, saplings etc)

 

I hate having to run a metal blade on a big machine, too much power

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, scbk said:

My way of doing it is with 2 machines.

 

53cc 2 stroke Kawasaki for running a thick line, for heavy grass

35cc 4 stroke Honda for either a thinner line (for lighter grass/edges) or running metal blades(for brambles, saplings etc)

 

I hate having to run a metal blade on a big machine, too much power

I used to be a fishing ghillie and strimmed sections of river banks/paths over 8 miles of river bank. I too detested using a blade with big Stihl strimmers. They always seemed to produce a heavy vibration.

 

How do you get on with your 35cc 4 stroke Honda and would you recommend the big Kawasaki?

 

Edited by Baldbloke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a lot of steep banks up against fence lines. A wheeled machine would have a limited use for me, and probably wind up being upside down more often than on its wheels. :D

I do have a hydrostatic 3 gang Jacobsen as well as a smaller ride on for the level areas, so the strimmer is really for the awkward corners, up against buildings and walls   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Baldbloke said:

I used to be a fishing ghillie and strimmed sections of river banks/paths over 8 miles of river bank. I too detested using a blade with big Stihl strimmers. They always seemed to produce a heavy vibration.

 

How do you get on with your 35cc 4 stroke Honda and would you recommend the big Kawasaki?

 

My 400 has antivibe mounts so I get less tingly hand symptoms than I would with say an FS120. I find it much more pleasant to use than the smaller machines.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.