Recommendations for larger strimmer

Baldbloke

Thanks for all the replies?

I have kept the second hand FS 460 C, and run it for the best part of a day and 6 fills without issues. This was after it was initially attracting hard lumps of deposits between the spark plug electrodes and either cutting out or misfiring. This was not a general fouling of the plug, but appeared to be random tiny pieces of carbon which I guess were being loosened off from perhaps the exhaust port after the strimmer laid idle for a considerable time. As Stubby and others pointed out this could well have been due to over oiling the fuel mix in the past.

It now appears to be running as it should, idling and chomping through everything I need it to. I even treated it to the largest bump head I could find to fit it, and the only problem I have now is that it tends to occasionally weld the trimmer line together because it's either running too well or my choice of trimmer line is crap?

Edited by Baldbloke
  • Like 1

On 24/05/2018 at 19:19, jamesd said:

I'd definitely be interested in a video. What model have you got? I have a wildflower meadow to maintain this season, do you think it would cope with a years growth of that?

Well it's not a masterpiece. Pushing it around with one hand and filming with the other over tractor ruts in this mess is not easy but I hope it gives some idea of what it can do 

Edited by Woodworks

Hmm doesn't look any faster than  normal strimmer?

I thought you would be able to just walk along behind @ a decent pace going forward (like a  lawn mower) not back & foward on each tussock.

Whats made my stimmer alot faster is plastic guard fell off so grass doesn't clog behind it at all & I can run a longer cord taking out a wider strip with each ark. Downside get covered in more crap.

Edited by Stere

6 hours ago, Stere said:

Hmm doesn't look any faster than  normal strimmer?

I thought you would be able to just walk along behind @ a decent pace going forward (like a  lawn mower) not back & foward on each tussock.

It's not a miracle tool but better than a strimmer IME. The stuff in the video is pretty tough for anything. Used to use a 45cc strimmer with jet cut but rarely pick it up now. The wheeled strimmer is easy to use in that it's ready to go with no harness, the cord seems to last an age where as I would be fixing the cord on the jet cut a lot which was a faff. At the end of the day it's just a strimmer with wheels but a 150cc one.

I just  thought 150cc would just cut 3 times as fast with all the extra power

I have a bump head which takes a load of line, so  line lasts for hrs & hrs if cutting grass. Get though around 6 tanks of fuel in 6hrs running &  only need to replaced line spool say on average once in whole day  which takes about 3 minutes. Carry several precut lengths of line of different thickness etc.

For brambles get though alot more line say one length per tank of fuel.