Recommendations for larger strimmer

Baldbloke

1 hour ago, Baldbloke said:

So I did take the recommendation and following Stubby's advice took the muffler off for a look see. It appeared to me that although there was no scoring of the piston skirt, there was some coke build up on the exhaust port. I did a little cleaning and collection with cotton buds within the port without lifting the barrel. I also gave the muffler a bloody good cook with a blow lamp and shook some crap out of it. As suggested by Stubby it possibly had been run on too rich an oil diet as well as (I'm told) lying idle for a long time.

Later I ran three tank fills through it and it ran without any plug problems or other untoward issues. Looks like I'll be keeping it:thumbup1:

I like a story with a happy ending :001_smile:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Baldbloke said:

That will be meemoji23.png
A tanker driver friend up here says it all comes from Grangemouth and the 2am deliveries in unmarked tankers deliver to Tesco’s and then Esso 1/2 a mile away.
So all in the mind and walletemoji3.png

I've been told that by someone in the trade too ................ only wish my petrol powered kit agreed :002:

3 minutes ago, jamesd said:

Are these actually any good?? what about in foot long grass and thicker plants like nettles, docks etc

Brilliant in nettles and docks. Least good in the foot high grass due to clearance issues. It does the long grass but I dont take a full width bite on each pass. If you had a more gutsy one I suspect it could take the whole width of the machine and have the power to throw it to the side. Might try and take a short video sometime

5 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Brilliant in nettles and docks. Least good in the foot high grass due to clearance issues. It does the long grass but I dont take a full width bite on each pass. If you had a more gutsy one I suspect it could take the whole width of the machine and have the power to throw it to the side. Might try and take a short video sometime

I'd definitely be interested in a video. What model have you got? I have a wildflower meadow to maintain this season, do you think it would cope with a years growth of that?

26 minutes ago, jamesd said:

I'd definitely be interested in a video. What model have you got? I have a wildflower meadow to maintain this season, do you think it would cope with a years growth of that?

Not sure as I got it second hand and it does not say on it. It's DR and has a Kolher 6.5 HP engine on it. Not self drive either. Over rough rutted ground that would be nice.

26 minutes ago, jamesd said:

recently started using a brand new stihl fs91, an absolute beast, stacks of power and lovely to use with relatively low vibrations for a machine that size on line or 2 edge blade (just make sure you're not a knob and accidentally mount the blade pissed not on the bush... from what i hear that makes it vibrate like hell?!
just a bit more power than the fs94 which i've also used, fs94 is more of a garden machine for grass, nettles thistles and capable of a bit of brambles with a blade. fs91 is a truly straight professional machine that flies through gorse, the thickest of grass and undergrowth, brambles etc and even saplings no trouble with a blade
fs94 is a good machine but just a more professional build quality in the 91, the 91 has the squarer engine casing which is their professional line 

OK this thread is still running ........As said I have both Husqvarna 545 and 555 . I prefer the 545 as its a bit lighter than the 555 ( no surprise )  but if you need bags of torque the 555 has it in spades . I run " Jet Fit " heads and the 555 will spin 9" tails of 4mm square line ( no guard ) effortlessly .