Recommendations for larger strimmer

Baldbloke

What mix ratio, 2 stroke oil and fuel supplier do you use. I use non Shell or BP only with Stihl HP super oil at 50:1.

Tesco’s unleaded at 50:1 Husqvarna synthetic low ash 2T oil.
The fuel and mix were both fresh 2 days ago
Exactly the same mix I run through my saws and none of them have plug fouling or pick up between their plug electrodes.

I don't get on with supermarket fuel as 200t's seem to run rough with poor pickup, the bigger saws seem more forgiving. If I get caught short of fuel and have to use supermarket stuff it is noticable straight away.

Try a non supermarket fuel and see if any different, another thought what make of plug did hugh fit, NGK would be my choice.

• Like 1

I don't get on with supermarket fuel as 200t's seem to run rough with poor pickup, the bigger saws seem more forgiving. If I get caught short of fuel and have to use supermarket stuff it is noticable straight away.
Try a non supermarket fuel and see if any different, another thought what make of plug did hugh fit, NGK would be my choice.

Hugh didn’t have the right plug so I picked the recommended NGK plug from the expensive dealer in Huntly[emoji3]
Surely the supermarket fuel wouldn’t/couldn’t produce those deposits when my saws have never been affected?

2 minutes ago, Baldbloke said:

Surely the supermarket fuel wouldn’t/couldn’t produce those deposits when my saws have never been affected?

Speak to @Stubby on here for his views on the subject. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baldbloke said:

Hugh didn’t have the right plug so I picked the recommended NGK plug from the expensive dealer in Huntlyemoji3.png

Supermarket petrol is rubbish in 2 stroke stuff generally anyway (someone will no doubt now say they have no problems!)

• Like 1

That will be me[emoji23]
A tanker driver friend up here says it all comes from Grangemouth and the 2am deliveries in unmarked tankers deliver to Tesco’s and then Esso 1/2 a mile away.
So all in the mind and wallet[emoji3]

• Like 1

On 5/20/2018 at 15:48, Woodworks said:

We got one of these and now rarely pickup the strimmer. 

I rate these, the wheels are a bit fragile but they really are a great bit of kit. I fitted chain to mine to convert it into a mini swipe.

Bob

That will be me[emoji23]

A tanker driver friend up here says it all comes from Grangemouth and the 2am deliveries in unmarked tankers deliver to Tesco’s and then Esso 1/2 a mile away.

So all in the mind and wallet[emoji3]

That may be true but it doesn’t mean it’s the same stuff going to both places! They have different tanks in the tankers.

It all comes from immingham round here. I don’t use it from Tesco as the only time the gear plays up is when I do, could be coincidence but I don’t think so[emoji16]

I will add the price is the same at shell as at Tesco so why not?

23 hours ago, htb said:

Speak to @Stubby on here for his views on the subject. 

So I did take the recommendation and following Stubby's advice took the muffler off for a look see. It appeared to me that although there was no scoring of the piston skirt, there was some coke build up on the exhaust port. I did a little cleaning and collection with cotton buds within the port without lifting the barrel. I also gave the muffler a bloody good cook with a blow lamp and shook some crap out of it. As suggested by Stubby it possibly had been run on too rich an oil diet as well as (I'm told) lying idle for a long time.

Later I ran three tank fills through it and it ran without any plug problems or other untoward issues. Looks like I'll be keeping it:thumbup1:

• Like 1