Greener Shoots a Pain Advice Please?

Swampie

Morning All,

This is my first post despite lurking in the background for a little while.

I'm not an arborist, I've just been helping my mum out with her newly bought house which is too big for her, luckily she loves gardening.

I recently purchased a used Timberwolf 13/75, it's a wonderful machine to help. It's particularly good with woody stuff.

I did read it's a menace straightening branches to feed in but I found if I snapped the shoots near the trunk by hand, i didnt need to prune them, the snap did enough despite still being still attached.

It worked great on all the dry woody stuff that we cut weeks ago.

However, the is loads of holly and brambles and the whispy shoots are a real pain. It seems anything soft doesn't always cut and therefore eventually clogs the exhaust.

This is a real pain as I'd prefer everything in tiny chips but also progress is slowed by clearing the exhaust regularly.

Has anyone got any advice on what I should doo with it or even if I should find a shredder to cope with this greener material?742c76ff017ac518d19e090742227dbc.jpg

Welcome to the forum Swampie and good luck with what should be a fun and rewarding venture.

Chippers like your machine are designed to deal with woody material; shredders are better for the green stuff.  That said a chipper with sharp blades (essential in a small machine, always good in any machine!) will happily deal with the green if you mix it with woodier stuff as you go.  So if you have a heap of bramble to deal with (no roots or soil at all) keep some branches back to help them through the machine.

Sharp blades are everything!

hi and welcome Swampie,   i rented the same machine recently and gave up after 3 hours of trying to chip green stuff.  I did research on said model afterwards only to find they are a pig to use,  one Arbtalk member actually had a new infeed hopper fabricated to help overcome these problems. It was so bad we cut and stacked all the brash and went back with my road tow chipper the next day and endured the long drag to get it processed, this ate into my profit margin big time.  My advice to you is to sell that machine and buy a Greenmech CS100.

Thanks for the welcome and replies folks, my machine came with a spare sharpened blade and we had a very successful day.

Older woodier brambles did pull through well with timber to help thanks. The machine did clog again on holly but then it did take a good lot of it in too.

I think the holly really needs to dry out, will it go through then I wonder?

Funnily enough, my machine has a refabricated hopper, maybe it's the same one:)
And the seller had upgraded to the CS100.

I'm not sure my mum's warrants the extra useability of the CS100 but the extra cash would be a stretch.

Looking back on eBay, a CS100 recently sold with the little trailer for £1,850. If I could find the same deal I would be straight in!

This machine behaved fantastic today though.
Again, snapping some offshoots on the main trunk helped plough in some good sized material without any trimming today.
The snaps stay attached but it just enables the trunk into the hopper outlet at blade end.

We are definitely getting our money's worth and I love using it.

Where is best to get blade sharpened?

Would my local Stihl shop sort it, they do sharpen chainsaw and circular saw blades so there's a good chance.

All the best, swampie.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Swampie said:

Aspenarb, What chipper is that? Does it shred as well?

That looks like a job n a half having to ship your tackle in. Did the chipper go on the boat?

Its just a chipper Swampie but like any chucknduck chippers you have to feed them a little and often to give the fan a chance to clear. Does sound like you are getting the hang of it though so best of luck.

Boat gets used a fair bit on stuff like this and those little chippers are a tad lighter than an rg35 Rayco,winch and clobber  :)

Bob

515A1F3E-412C-4714-B6C4-409D805AB0EE_zps

• Like 1

So I see everybody loves the cs100, but that's just a chipper isn't it, what's the best small chipper/shredder?

Looking at videos of the cs1oo, it still spits out some fair sized waste to my mind.

Like it's just a chipper isn't it and would a combi machine improve things yet again?