What Exactly Is A Holding Cut?

Haironyourchest

Going for my CS38/39 assessment Monday, some unavoidable delays make this four months after the course and my memory has faded a bit in the interim. Can anyone describe to me a "holding cut" as it applies to arial tree work? From the assessment schedule I gather I will only need to explain this cut and not demonstrate it, and I could just parrot the schedule definition which is "Sink cut with retained hinge and hold at the rear used on larger diameter stems under tension" - but I'd actually like to know what I'm talking about. I'm sure our instructor explained it but I've forgotten. Do they mean a bore cut with a holding strap at the back? Cheers.

I thought holding cut was a step cut, saw away then snap the wood off with both hands a throw clear. Dog tooth is a dogtooth, bore/release. To be honest if you can explain/show as you did on here  in your post, the examiner would be fine. You know why you make each cut, names don't really matter ?

Edited by Husqvarna King

1 hour ago, Husqvarna King said:

I was wrong, holding cut is the dogtooth with regard to aerial cutting.

Yes, I think you're right, I actually start to remember now the instructor did talk about a dogtooth cut. I find the assessment schedule wording a bit weird, I should have taken better notes during the course. Cheers for they help guys.

This sounds right to me too, no cuts in my assessment were bigger than about 6 inch branch with snap or lift against hinge etc. I think this question in the schedule is about awareness of the risk of splitting out when cutting bigger limbs under tension, how you would manage that, not lanyard round it etc but you won't have to actually perform the cut.
As the King said, CS examiners are more about working out if you know what you are doing than if you can remember the technical terms.

Don't think you'll be doing anything big enough to bore through for a dog tooth. 2 step cuts in board and outboard, step cut and chuck and a "fold" cut (my term for it) branch with gob on top, back cut underneath and finished with silky. Branch then folded up and over and thrown. That was mine anyway

Just an update - I passed the assessment today. Officially joined the ranks of the superheroes!

And what was the answer to your question dude ...??
Step cut or dogs tooth?? I’ve never been asked to do one in Ariel cutting in a refresher assessment so intrigued if it’s the dogs tooth but would make sense in light of a few accidents that have been noted by hse over the years ,it’s about time more focus on tensioned limbs where part of the course.