Hitch climber setup and ocean polyester

Sambo

Try playing with the wraps and braids and if you can’t get anything to work try crossing over the legs on the cord and after the braids before they go back to in the hitch climber Krab.
Never got on with ocean my self though , armour Pruss is by far the best cord out there , grips every time and won’t burn out.
I'd stay away from the V.T if one is new to the H.C system. The Michoacan or distel are simpler to tie with less sit back and are not as tempremental.

I'd stay away from the V.T if one is new to the H.C system. The Michoacan or distel are simpler to tie with less sit back and are not as tempremental.

Happy hitch over a VT if the cords slipping on new rope was what I was getting at ... Works for me on new ropes until they have broken in then it’s back to a VT.

12 hours ago, MattyF said:

Try playing with the wraps and braids 

Agree on that Matty, pretty much applies to any configuration of rope and cord. 

Here's a 6 wrap VT I found worked well with 10mm ocean on 11.7 non ce coug blue. The 6 wraps only worked cause the ropes were new and the diameter of both ropes so similar 

worked a treat though, smooth when moving around, rock solid when cutting 

image.thumb.jpeg.fcb96bbcf5bec16a2d5ec3512f2ea7f8.jpeg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, thetoolnut said:
18 hours ago, MattyF said:
Try playing with the wraps and braids and if you can’t get anything to work try crossing over the legs on the cord and after the braids before they go back to in the hitch climber Krab.
Never got on with ocean my self though , armour Pruss is by far the best cord out there , grips every time and won’t burn out.

I've got a fair bit of experience with the hitch climber system - I use it regularly at Norse - the problem was getting it to work reliably on the smaller diameter ropes/prussic of my own equipment. 

8 hours ago, MattyF said:

Happy hitch over a VT if the cords slipping on new rope was what I was getting at ... Works for me on new ropes until they have broken in then it’s back to a VT.

Happy Hitch? Could you put up a photo if you've got time?

Alright guys!

I have been playing around with some new (to me!) kit and I need some advice! The thing is, I climb at work on a Hitch Climber setup and it is magnificent but it uses 12.5mm rope and a 10mm ocean polyester eye to eye sling (90cm long). it's nicely broken in and grips every time.

My own kit, however consists of 11.5mm tachyon rope and an 8mm eye to eye sling (also 90cm). this is relatively well broken in but doesn't quite grab every time. it's tied with 4 wraps and then 4 braids (mainly to take up the excess). 

My question is should I really be using a shorter as well as thinner eye-eye sling to improve the grab of the setup or will this be too much? Any advice or experience would be great!

Many Thanks!

Just use and try out all kinds of mm or setups until you find something that’s perfect, there is no real answer to your question. All rope will have a different effect wether that’s length or girth ;) just set it up and test them out
  • Like 2

I never managed to get ocean polyester to grip reliably every single time, horrible cord in my opinion.  A shorter cord might help.  Perhaps try an xt knot to use up some slack
I had the same problem with the ocean polyester gripping on two different ropes and three different hitches, I couldn't get on with it. I changed to the courant phenix I think it's called and it works a treat. Grips every time.

On 5/21/2018 at 11:06, scotspine1 said:

Agree on that Matty, pretty much applies to any configuration of rope and cord. 

Here's a 6 wrap VT I found worked well with 10mm ocean on 11.7 non ce coug blue. The 6 wraps only worked cause the ropes were new and the diameter of both ropes so similar 

worked a treat though, smooth when moving around, rock solid when cutting 

image.thumb.jpeg.fcb96bbcf5bec16a2d5ec3512f2ea7f8.jpeg

doesn't the sit back on such a long hitch bother you?