Funding my first chipper

wjotner

5 minutes ago, Simia said:

I do apologise it took a very long time to show the first post had been posted. I thought I had lost it so wrote another. Sorry. I will get used to it soon. Thank you Steve.

As a new member your first post needed to be manually approved.  I've removed the duplicate

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Red diesel 60p litre, petrol, £1.30. You do the maths!

I just did some rough maths based on 8L per hour usage, whether a petrol or diesel machine uses more or less I have no idea. Assuming the machine owner is VAT registered and using the machine 200 hours per year the cost difference is about £550. If you are not Vat registered the difference between red diesel and petrol is about £1000 per year

If people become more focused on fuel costs then perhaps they will be less likely to leave the machines running un-productively. 

I often see many arb outfits with chipper running flat out unnecessarily. My own crew had this habit when I was not around to turn it down or off. Extra hours de-valueing the machine and wasting fuel chipping air...

Ty

Edited by Ty Korrigan

6 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

If people become more focused on fuel costs then perhaps they will be less likely to leave the machines un-productively. 

I often see many arb outfits with chipper running flat out unnecessarily. My own crew had this habit when I was not around to turn it down or off. Extra hours de-valueing the machine and wasting fuel chipping air...

Ty

A good point as even if its's not chipping it's moving a lot of air and that takes power. In fact a petrol engine at peak torque is more efficient than a diesel, it's less efficient when idling so run in batches rather than kept dribbling bits in should be better fuel use.

• Like 1

On the other hand I also see videos of people stacking huge piles of brush to be chipped later.

Giving themselves a miserable time at the end of the job untangling and dragging again.

Yes, don’t have it running for ages pointlessly, but if we can get the chipper close enough run it and chip as you go.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

On the other hand I also see videos of people stacking huge piles of brush to be chipped later.

Giving themselves a miserable time at the end of the job untangling and dragging again.

Yes, don’t have it running for ages pointlessly, but if we can get the chipper close enough run it and chip as you go.

I've worked for some companies that do this.  I appreciate they might want to save a big of cash on fuel and running costs and also reduce noise for the customer and neighbours, but in the long run I think it just costs more money in down time.  Will regularly lose one man at some point to chip the heap whilst one is left dragging, and rarely is everything chipped up by the time the climbers down from the tree.

I was always taught that all that should be left when the climbers down is the raking.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

A loader with a rotating grapple is king in this situation.

we stack or accumulate until its almost out of hand then we chip the lot.It is rare to run our 1800xl for more than 15 mins at a time. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kimtree said:

A loader with a rotating grapple is king in this situation.

we stack or accumulate until its almost out of hand then we chip the lot.It is rare to run our 1800xl for more than 15 mins at a time. 

Apples and oranges of course, but sounds like a great set up.